Quick Question???

I'm reading on here about all these 3-4 and even 5 thousand graft sessions. How many day surgeries are these? I went to several consults before I decided on one in Ohio. One said they could do as many as 3000 in a day. I decided on one that said about 2200 grafts was all the FUT they could do in a day. So figuring I will need around 2500-2700 Its now scheduled for two days. In all reality, how many can be placed in a 8-10 hour window? Thanks

What surgeon are you looking at? This isn't really an important question, but with FUT it is very dependent on your donor laxity - typically 3000 is possible for the average patient and for FUE 2500-3000 is also common.

I was just curious. I see these high number of graft cases and just wonder the time involved. I've scheduled with Dr Bradley Wolf. and its for next month. Its going to be over 2 days which is no problem at all, just was wondering about all the big number cases.

Procedures of 5000 grafts plus are not uncommon. In fact they are very common. As we're talking about FUT, the procedure would normally be done in one day. I actually don't know how an FUT procedure would be split over two days. Would your surgeon be removing the strip and storing some of the grafts until day two?

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Procedures of 5000 grafts plus are not uncommon. In fact they are very common. As we're talking about FUT, the procedure would normally be done in one day. I actually don't know how an FUT procedure would be split over two days. Would your surgeon be removing the strip and storing some of the grafts until day two?
FUT over two days would be traumatic and reckless, 5000 grafts can be done by a trained and experienced staff with top notch facilities, but I'd be careful who I trusted with such a big procedure.

That's a lot of donor to waste if they're no good.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

I'm reading on here about all these 3-4 and even 5 thousand graft sessions. How many day surgeries are these? I went to several consults before I decided on one in Ohio. One said they could do as many as 3000 in a day. I decided on one that said about 2200 grafts was all the FUT they could do in a day. So figuring I will need around 2500-2700 Its now scheduled for two days. In all reality, how many can be placed in a 8-10 hour window? Thanks
A doctor told you he could only handle 2200 FUT in a day? Are you sure he didn't mean FUE?

2200 grafts from an FUT strip is a pretty standard size.

Procedures really aren't considered megasessions until they exceed 3000 grafts.

I'm guessing that the strip would be removed one side per day. So on the first day, they would remove a strip on, say, the right side from the centre towards the right ear, with the other side being removed the following day. I think this approach would be too traumatic. There's no reason why the result wouldn't turn out fine, but it wouldn't be comfortable for you, the patient.

Considering that 2200 grafts is actually quite a small procedure, I wouldn't recommend going through this. It points to the doctor having a lack of staff to handle the bigger procedures.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

I'm guessing that the strip would be removed one side per day. So on the first day, they would remove a strip on, say, the right side from the centre towards the right ear, with the other side being removed the following day. I think this approach would be too traumatic. There's no reason why the result wouldn't turn out fine, but it wouldn't be comfortable for you, the patient.

Considering that 2200 grafts is actually quite a small procedure, I wouldn't recommend going through this. It points to the doctor having a lack of staff to handle the bigger procedures.

Sounds terribly uncomfortable for a patient and potentially traumatic to the donor, also sounds like an invitation for added opportunities for infection.

Here is part of a Q/A he has on his website

Daniel, Thanks for contacting me. Some of the photos are from the past when we did fewer grafts per day — especially when we were doing FUE by hand. We now use a mechanical device for FUE so we are faster. The patient who needed three days had severe scarring and large grafts from prior, outdated procedures. A mass redistribution was done using FUE in which large grafts from the past were debulked and retransplanted, new grafts were taken from a very limited donor area, and some grafts were placed into prior strip scars. Repair cases, when done correctly, often take longer.

In general at this time we can do 2000 strip grafts in a day, to have more done it would take a second day. We can do 4000 grafts in two consecutive days. For FUE we can now do 1000-1200 grafts in a day, so 2000 would take two days. I have a small staff and specialize in custom, high quality work. An assistant and I place all grafts. Fewer than 20% of doctors doing hair transplants do ANY placement at all; few, if any other than me, place 50% of all grafts. Everything we do is to maximize graft survival and to get as close to 100% growth as possible. We do one case a day and are not interested in seeing how many cases or grafts we can do in a day. Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Best regards,