Vitamin E may reverse male pattern baldness: Study

This is a very interesting find. Even though a lot of these reports turn out to be bogus they still give us all hope! I hope there is something to this one cuz this would be an extremely simple product to add to anyone's regimen. I might start takin Vit. E on a daily basis now anyways....what could it hurt??

- 1 HT ~ 3000 grafts

- Regimen:

Propecia 1X daily

I might start takin Vit. E on a daily basis now anyways....what could it hurt??

Well, from my understanding it's not just any Vitamin E you can take. It's a sort of compund or something. I too would add it to my regim, but i would like to know exactlly what to take.

Been taking 400 i.u. of vit-E for about 5 months, as well as ab omega 3-6-9 complex for about 4 months. I won't say that I'm regrowing hair, but my hair feels and looks healthier. However, I do take proscar and a few other supplements as well, so can't link it to the vit-E directly. My skin also looks better. I would give it a shot for the skin factor alone. Interesting link, thanks for the post...

If you wanna scream, scream with me....

My understanding of this as a bio major, vitamins come in two forms, one is artificial and the other is natural...mortality has been linked to artificial vitamins in general, but just remember that its benefits outweigh its risks...just think of the many people who take vitamins...there is a vitamin line called juice plus that only uses the extracts from vegetables and fruits...there isnt even a dosage on the label because you cannot overdose on them, unlike artificial vitamin lines

It is possible to overdose on any vitamin that is fat soluble and Vitamin E is fat soluble (along with Vitamins A, D and K). This is because cell membranes are lipophillic ("fat loving") and so they get into the cells at ease. You cannot overdose on water soluble vitamins because if you take too much you can just pee them out. So you can overdose on Vit. E but I have no idea on how many IUs it would take.

- 1 HT ~ 3000 grafts

- Regimen:

Propecia 1X daily

Just run a search on PubMed. According to numerous studies daily doses of as little as 150IU were associated with a higher incidence of death. This has also been shown with Vitamin A and Beta Carotene.

PS....the topical Retin-A was recently shown to increase death rates. On the otherhand, higher level of Vitamin D were associated with lower levels of mortality.

• 10 months later...

That was certainly an interesting study. It doesn't seem conclusive by any means, but interesting nonetheless. I also look at (promotional link removed - read the terms of service you agreed to when you signed up) as a very safe and natural supplement. I wouldn't take more than the recommended daily dosage since it is a fat soluble vitamin which makes it easier to overdose, but I don't see it as a dangerous vitamin to supplement either. Vitamin is is definitely known to increasing the quality of hair, so it might make sense that it would help with hair growth. The study also pointed out that it must be taken in the form of tocopherols. I found a really good brand of vitamin E (NOW Foods) that comes in the form of mixed tocophreols, which seems like it would be a good option.