Thick scar tissue Question

Is the thick scar tissue a normal thing or its due to a bad technique by the surgeon? In other words people who have pencil thin scars or better scar closures do also have a thicker skin tissue in the scar than the rest of the head?

Thanks

By thicker I presume you mean "wider" scars? This can be from either of the reasons that you stated. Some individuals just simply heal with a wider than normal scar and yes it can also be attributable to the surgeons skill level in closing the wound.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

It's a result of genetics and technique, but if you have tricky skin elasticity or are a poor healer then even an expertly performed suture closure may not prevent what's known as keloid scarring, the raised scarring you speak of.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

Thanks guys!

I think in my case its technique since some ends are wider than others and its quite thick when i move my finger across the back of my head. there is a noticeable bump.

I will try to go for a scar re closure and see whats up

hyperhair,

As stated above, it's typically a combination of the surgeon's skill and experience and patient physiology. Even if you see one of the best doctors in the world, patient physiology may be responsible for a wider (thicker) scar. The number of procedures can affect this as well. For instance, you may have a pencil fine scar the first two procedures but it may become a little thicker as you undergo additional procedures. That happened to me even though I'm not unhappy with my scar. That said, there are things you can do to conceal it. I typically just wear my hair a little longer on the sides and back (still quite short though) and it covers it just fine. Some use concealer, some undergo scalp micropigmentation, some get FUE in the scar, etc.

Best wishes,

Bill

Thanks guys!

I think in my case its technique since some ends are wider than others and its quite thick when i move my finger across the back of my head. there is a noticeable bump.

I will try to go for a scar re closure and see whats up

You mean a scar revision? If so, be careful with that approach because not all scar revisions are successful. And if a raised or wide scar is more related to the patient's physiology, a revision has little chance of success from what I have observed over the years.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I cant really say if its my philosophy or my skin type since the idiot who operated me completely butchered me but what i can see is that some areas are wide while others are thin and narrow but overall there is a thick bumpy rough scar tissue at the back and I dont think that is this the right way to heal the skin. Even my other small body scars from life accidents aren't that thick. I was advised by a couple of Drs to redo another FUT from that scar tissue and then try a re closure.

Im still researching this through online consultations