is dutasteride a no-brainer?

harry1

I've read a few threads on this forum where members were adding .5mg of dutasteride twice/week to their daily finasteride routine and they generally seemed to be very happy with the results. Given the fact that generic dutasteride is now available, is it a no brainer to at least try dutasteride .5mg twice/week for a few months?

Even generic dutasteride is pretty pricey without a prescription (Walmart quoted me about @ $5.30/pill) but if 2 pills/week is the sweet spot then this is only about $40/mo so I would have no problem paying this if the odds of satisfaction are high. As of a few years ago the no brainer hair loss regimen was:

* Rogaine everyday

* 1mg finasteride everyday

For May 2017, does part of the no-brainer hair loss regimen include (at least trying) dutasteride .5mg twice/week for a few months?

Finasteride and minoxidil is still the norm. Ppl usually use dut after several years of finasteride use and feel that the fin is not working as well as before.

Ah good to know. I've been using finasteride since 07/14 so about 3 years. I got another large ht a few months ago so I guess finasteride wasn't a slam dunk lol. Would the general consensus on this forum these days be that I should add dutasteride to my regimen? I have a buddy who wants to ramp up on hair preservation. Should I tell him to add dutasteride 0.5 twice/week to his regimen to play it safe? If he wants to maximize his odds then would there be any reason for him not to do this?

If fin is holding I wouldn't change anything. Just because you had a follow up doesn't mean it hasn't stalled your loss.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I had my first HT in 2007, I needed another one in 2012 and then another one at the start of 2017. I started taking Finasteride in mid-2014 and hadn't taken it before then. Therefore, Finasteride wasn't a miracle drug for me. Maybe it helped a bit but I still needed another HT after 5 years like before. Wouldn't it make sense for me to hedge my bets with dutasteride at this point?

I was in the process of getting a prescription for dutasteride through a website and the website had a bulleted list of warnings. One of the warnings was:

"Do NOT take Avodart with Propecia or Proscar"

However, I've read several threads on this forum where guys are supplementing their finasteride prescription with dutasteride twice/week. Are you aware of any research that has shown practical consequences of taking these 2 meds together?

If there are real risks involved with taking these 2 meds together then is there any reason not to straight out switch from finasteride to dutasteride?