Does having sleep apnea have an effect on my hair loss/ restoration?

I have sleep apnea and I am wondering if there would be an effect on my existing hair or my future hair restoration results? I would hate to pay so much money for something and get horrible results because of my sleep disorder... any insights would be appreciated!

I read a study on this, and I'm not convinced it's anything more than speculation and an attempt to make some "big discovery" in the medical field that really doesn't amount to much. It seems like they're trying to make a correlation between two things that just isn't there, and are using lots of vague language to try and justify the reasoning. I tend to shy away from these types of studies/"findings".

If this is something you're really concerned about, you can always talk to the hair transplant surgeons you have consultations with. My guess is they won't think the argument holds much water. Personally, I'd be more concerned with getting the sleep apnea under control, regardless of any correlation to hair loss. Getting consistent, proper sleep will do wonders for your life and your health. I have family members with this problem and know how frustrating/challenging it can be, so hopefully you can find a way to manage it.

Edited by pkipling

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

The only thing that could remotely be considered as an influencing factor for hair loss due to sleep apnea is the stress that sleep apnea can have on the body. Aside from that there shouldn't be any other real factors that would affect your hair.

KB,

I've done surgery on many patients suffering from sleep apnea. I don't think there is any connection between sleep apnea and hair loss or the success rate of hair transplantation.

Two things I would keep in mind:

1) If you wear a CPAP, discuss the type of mask with your doctor. Some of them have straps that may go right over where the grafts are placed. Others have a tendency to ride up in the night, and could easily end up rubbing the hairline.

2) Let the team/doctor know that you may have apneic episodes during the procedure if you do fall asleep. A lot of patients fall asleep during graft placement. You may want the team to wake you up if you're experiencing frequent apnea, and you'll definitely want them to be aware of the pauses so they don't panic!

Best of luck.

Dr B

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I have sleep apnea myself for many years and never experienced any detrimental effects as it relates to my hairloss or HT results.

I will tell you that once I started using a CPAP machine, it made a huge positive difference in my energy levels and overall general health.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY