Post-Op Shaving Head

I was able to wear a hat at work so it didn't really matter. If I could not wear one, I would buzz my head about a month before the procedure. That way ppl are used to it and not all shocked when you come back after your procedure. Some ppl want to keep their hair long instead and have the procedure done while their hair is still long.

I will do it when I finish my current contract so I when I start my new contract, in a new country, I won't know anybody anyway. I just mean to avoid the ugly part with the weird looking hairs sprouting out in weird places. Surely this looks better with very short hair?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm guessing because of the redness and scarring and ppl likely want to monitor growth. I wondering if shaving it during the first year would effect how it turned out if you never let your hair grown and breathe.

I suppose so, yes. I wouldn't care as much to be honest as I know there will be growth eventually. I didn't get the second part - are you suggesting/wondering if there would be better or worse growth if you shave it? I don't think there would be much difference but I have nothing to base that on.

I shaved mine and that approach worked out perfectly for me. One reason many guys don't like to buzz completely is so that they can attempt to use the existing native hair to disguise the hair transplant. It's a good idea in theory, and some guys can pull it off, but it just didn't work for me.

The downside with a buzzcut immediately post-op is that the recipient area often looks pink for up to 4 weeks or so. For that reason, I chose to wear a hat to work for the first 3-4 weeks since my recipient area was pinker/more noticeable than I wanted it to be (and fortunately my employer didn't ask questions). I kept it buzzed really short for the first 3 months, because (as you pointed out) the longer the hair got, the more contrast there was between my native hair and the lack of hair in the recipient area. I stopped buzzing at 3 months when I started to see new growth, which allowed everything to grow in nice and uniform.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

I am lucky in that I will do it between contracts so when I start my new contract in a new country, there will be no redness or swelling. I don't think I will be able to wear a hat to work though. That said, I do work in tropical countries so I will need to wear one for the commute (and anytime I even leave the house from what I have heard). Tough gig this cosmetic surgery eh?

I was able to wear a hat at work so it didn't really matter. If I could not wear one, I would buzz my head about a month before the procedure. That way ppl are used to it and not all shocked when you come back after your procedure. Some ppl want to keep their hair long instead and have the procedure done while their hair is still long.

Seems best to do it between jobs, that way when you first come in they see you as bald, buzz weird looking head guy and then after 8 months or so you turn into a dashing prince and everyone forgot a the old look.

This is an interesting question. And honestly, that's exactly what I did. But some people, no matter what don't want to shave their head because they feel it draws attention to their scalp. Of course, with shock loss, sometimes the scalp looks even worse if it's not shaved because it makes the top look thinner and the sides in the back look thicker. As for me, I did end up shaving my entire scalp for the third procedure about a week after my surgery and my fourth procedure, I actually shaved entire scalp before I even got the hair transplant.

I guess for each person it's a personal choice, but for me, I thought I looked more ridiculous without shaving so I just took the plunge and shaved after my third and fourth.

Bill

There are so many variables at play here. Can you wear a hat? What time of year is your procedure? (easier to cover up during a northern hemisphere winter) Will your native hair cover the recipient area at all?

The biggest variable is this: do you care who knows?

I honestly don't. I did wear a hat for the first few months, but then I ditched it and that was the best choice I made.

If/when I go for a second procedure, I'll probably cover up at first, but if anyone asks my answer will be: I've had a hair transplant.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

There are so many variables at play here. Can you wear a hat? What time of year is your procedure? (easier to cover up during a northern hemisphere winter) Will your native hair cover the recipient area at all?

The biggest variable is this: do you care who knows?

I honestly don't. I did wear a hat for the first few months, but then I ditched it and that was the best choice I made.

If/when I go for a second procedure, I'll probably cover up at first, but if anyone asks my answer will be: I've had a hair transplant.

I don't either. My opinion is, if they ask me directly then I will answer yes but I am also not going to announce I have had a hair transplant within 2 minutes of meeting people. As I (think) mentioned above, I work in tropical countries so avoiding the sun will be hard without a hat. I have already found a few Panama hats which look quite cool. I'll invest in them. The hat won't be to mask the fact I have had a transplant though, but to protect my scalp when it is very sensitive in the first 6 months. I was also debating FUE and now FUT so that is another consideration.