Surgeons NOT TO GO TO in the NYC area

Hi, I've been wanting to do this for awhile (hair restoration), but I have been worried for a few reasons. 1.) Getting a crappy job done and 2.) realistic downtime.

I have excellent donor hair which is why I have been seeking out to this as opposed to buzzing my hair. I live in the NYC area and there seems to be a lot of shysters out there.

I think I am starting to get a handled on who is real and who is not, but I am still worried. I think I dodged a bullet by cancelling a surgery that sounded too good to be true.

I know a lot of people asking for recommendations for good doctors, but I am going to do a little twist... are there doctors out there in the NYC area one should AVOID AT ALL COST!

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Bosley and Ziegler should be near the top of the avoid.

Just say no to chains that advertise with infomerical and rely on celebrity endorsements.

And stay away from any plastic surgeon that doesn't specifically practice hair transplants only.

Also, why confine yourself exclusively to the Tri-State area or NYC if you're not sure about your best options locally?

Don't be afraid to travel, I live in Austin and went all the way to Portland to make sure I got it right with the surgeon right for me.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

There seems to be some pretty reputable ones in the NYC area... some do seem shady though. My wife thinks I'm crazy for wanting to this, but it's something I have been thinking about, I do have good donor hair, I figure I can take advantage of it; however, to have someone butcher my head and cause permanent life-long damage is definitely not worth it.

There seems to be some pretty reputable ones in the NYC area... some do seem shady though. My wife thinks I'm crazy for wanting to this, but it's something I have been thinking about, I do have good donor hair, I figure I can take advantage of it; however, to have someone butcher my head and cause permanent life-long damage is definitely not worth it.
Don't rush into anything, I recommend as a rule of thumb to effectively interview 5 doctors via consult and compare notes.

And in order to get 5 reputable doctors you're going to need to cast a net further than NYC alone. Skype and telephone are sufficient to touch base for a consult though.

This forum has some good doctors on it, but like all places, you've got to do your homework and not take any of them at face value.

Hi, I've been wanting to do this for awhile (hair restoration), but I have been worried for a few reasons. 1.) Getting a crappy job done and 2.) realistic downtime.

I have excellent donor hair which is why I have been seeking out to this as opposed to buzzing my hair. I live in the NYC area and there seems to be a lot of shysters out there.

I think I am starting to get a handled on who is real and who is not, but I am still worried. I think I dodged a bullet by cancelling a surgery that sounded too good to be true.

I know a lot of people asking for recommendations for good doctors, but I am going to do a little twist... are there doctors out there in the NYC area one should AVOID AT ALL COST!

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

As a New Yorker myself, and having made the mistake of having my 1st procedure with a NY practitioner, the best advice is to not limit yourself to NY surgeons. The best of the best HT surgeons are not in NYC, so be prepared to travel. Plus the NY surgeons charge way too much money for a procedure - it's just not worth paying such a premium just for the convenience of being able to take a cab home after the procedure.

As a New Yorker myself, and having made the mistake of having my 1st procedure with a NY practitioner, the best advice is to not limit yourself to NY surgeons. The best of the best HT surgeons are not in NYC, so be prepared to travel. Plus the NY surgeons charge way too much money for a procedure - it's just not worth paying such a premium just for the convenience of being able to take a cab home after the procedure.

This is very helpful, as are all the comments, so thank you everyone. There was a NYC provider, Maxim, I was about to go to because the price is right, then I saw some really bad reviews and actually spoke to a person, personally, about his experience. I am not going to get into all the details, but something didn't seem right and the salesperson then began harassing when she found out this person spoke to me. I even had to tell her to "cease and desist".... anyway... there are few in the NYC area I am now finding that seem reputable, but yes, are expensive. Someone mentioned Bernstein, yeah, I can't justify giving someone $250 for a consultation; it's a cheesy sales tactic to get you vested so you don't see someone else - if you're that good, you should be able to convince me without extorting me. That is what I am really hating about this industry - too many cheesy and slimy sales tactics. I happen to have good, thick donor hair, the financial means, why not take advantage of it? But it's becoming very stressful and too much anxiety.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you go to get yours done?

-x

P.S. If anything, I am learning it's worth it to take your time with this decision.

This is very helpful, as are all the comments, so thank you everyone. There was a NYC provider, Maxim, I was about to go to because the price is right, then I saw some really bad reviews and actually spoke to a person, personally, about his experience. I am not going to get into all the details, but something didn't seem right and the salesperson then began harassing when she found out this person spoke to me. I even had to tell her to "cease and desist".... anyway... there are few in the NYC area I am now finding that seem reputable, but yes, are expensive. Someone mentioned Bernstein, yeah, I can't justify giving someone $250 for a consultation; it's a cheesy sales tactic to get you vested so you don't see someone else - if you're that good, you should be able to convince me without extorting me. That is what I am really hating about this industry - too many cheesy and slimy sales tactics. I happen to have good, thick donor hair, the financial means, why not take advantage of it? But it's becoming very stressful and too much anxiety.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you go to get yours done?

-x

P.S. If anything, I am learning it's worth it to take your time with this decision.

Maxim is a chain, always be weary of those.

Maxim is a chain, always be weary of those.

I'm starting to see that now, meaning, if it's a chain, steer clear. I'm shocked at how so many organizations out there treat this as a mere commoditized product or service, rather than a medical procedure.

My wife has been very supportive too. She is encouraging me to take my time and not rush it.

I'm starting to see that now, meaning, if it's a chain, steer clear. I'm shocked at how so many organizations out there treat this as a mere commoditized product or service, rather than a medical procedure.

My wife has been very supportive too. She is encouraging me to take my time and not rush it.

Be sure to look at physician CV's too, if they have a background with Bosley, Ziegler, or MHR I'd consider that a deal breaker.

I'd also discount any doctor advertising their robot at the forefront of the practice if they do FUE.

That's not to say that a doctor with an ARTAS can't do good work, but if the robot is the epicenter of the practice, red flag.

And if the doctor is advertising the inferior machine known as NeoGraft as the epicenter of their practice that's an even bigger red flag.

So in conclusion, be weary of docs with chain backgrounds, and/or who advertise their robots as a type of procedure.

You're better off going the FUT route at this juncture anyhow, and a skilled surgeon should be able to provide both, not one or the other.

And don't be afraid to travel, many clinics are empathetic to travel cost and provide some cost flexibility to ease the burden.

Truthfully going to the right guy, no matter where in North America, isn't a burden in my mind.

I traveled far out of state because i was unimpressed with local options.

Be sure to look at physician CV's too, if they have a background with Bosley, Ziegler, or MHR I'd consider that a deal breaker.

I'd also discount any doctor advertising their robot at the forefront of the practice if they do FUE.

That's not to say that a doctor with an ARTAS can't do good work, but if the robot is the epicenter of the practice, red flag.

And if the doctor is advertising the inferior machine known as NeoGraft as the epicenter of their practice that's an even bigger red flag.

So in conclusion, be weary of docs with chain backgrounds, and/or who advertise their robots as a type of procedure.

You're better off going the FUT route at this juncture anyhow, and a skilled surgeon should be able to provide both, not one or the other.

And don't be afraid to travel, many clinics are empathetic to travel cost and provide some cost flexibility to ease the burden.

Truthfully going to the right guy, no matter where in North America, isn't a burden in my mind.

I traveled far out of state because i was unimpressed with local options.

Speegs, I think my next appointment is with someone who does neograft, actually, I am looking now and they're known for Coolspa???? I need to cancel this one now! LOL