Hair Loss or Mature Hairline?

I'm 18 years old, my hair line has been like this since last year as far as I know, because that's when I started wearing it spiked/parted like I've posted below.

I've been losing a hair or two in my sleep on my pillow, and about two or three I see on my hands in the shower after washing my hair. I'm certain it's obviously receded, but I'm curious as if it may be a mature hairline or not.

My father didn't start thinning until his 30's, he still currently maintains his hair, although it's receded, my grand father on my dad's side is bald (75) and my mother's father is not bald, but has thin, long hair. I knew I'd go bald eventually, but was hoping it wouldn't be this soon.

Any thoughts and opinions? Thank you!

IMG_2332.thumb.JPG.94284ebf9b20e5ae74e6ef08c94aabca.JPG

IMG_2333.thumb.JPG.bcc90682fd0837c7a3e55b2112ae477e.JPG

IMG_2337.thumb.JPG.8fa099ba2e1c22ec32699290842fd8ef.JPG

it seems like you're following a hair loss pattern. I would visit a dermatologist and consider taking finasteride. you are young and you may lose much hair within the next 4-5 years. I'd hate for you to be a NW4 by 21. it is good that you are seeking advice now.

Its quite important for you to begin a regime to look after your hair asap I think. If you suffer scalp itchiness, dandruff etc I recommend Ionil T tar shampoo, also consider Minoxidil (Rogaine Foam) & Finasteride. These days it is possible to hold onto our hair longer if we look after it which makes surgery an increasingly viable option down the track. Good luck.

It does appear to be some early signs of hairline recession but it's in the early stages so only time will tell in the coming years.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

It does appear to be some early signs of hairline recession but it's in the early stages so only time will tell in the coming years.

I hope when I start taking Finasteride and using the Rogaine foam it'll help slow to slow down any more hair loss and keep what I've got.

To use the Rogaine foam I massage it into the front of my scalp where my hairline is at, right? Unsure if there's any rules to follow when using it.

Thank you!

Be sure you see a physician in person who is experienced in treating hair loss regarding a prescription for finasteride. Initially, you need to be examined and formally diagnosed for MPB and definitely want the advice and counsel of the doctor before starting the medication.

In other words, don't just buy it online and start it without first seeing a qualified physician.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Be sure you see a physician in person who is experienced in treating hair loss regarding a prescription for finasteride. Initially, you need to be examined and formally diagnosed for MPB and definitely want the advice and counsel of the doctor before starting the medication.

In other words, don't just buy it online and start it without first seeing a qualified physician.

Thank you, no problem. I'll end up making an appointment to see one later today.

I agree with the consensus above; the amount of recession appears like a bit more than natural hairline maturation. Seeing a hair loss doctor in-person is your best first step. Good luck!

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

The good news is if your hairline stays this way it's maturation and will be age appropriate for decades.

The bad news is it likely isn't the case and you're in the early stages of a receding hairline.

I agree that getting on a physician approved finasteride regimen is in your best interests, how's your crown look?

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

I agree with everyone else. At 18 years of age, I would think that you might be experiencing some early hairline recession. Because you are so young, I suggest consulting with a dermatologist and discussing medication like Propecia and Rogaine. It's important that you understand the benefits, limitations and potential side effects associated with each medication as well.

Best wishes,

Bill