How bad is this scar?

cda511

Your doctor was concerned enough to mention it, you'll likely need a scar revision after the one year mark, once your hair has grown in and scalp laxity has recovered.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

Although the doctor says the scar has stretched more than normal, the result of the stretching may not need any further cosmetic attention. You will have to wait though and see what it looks like. Just know that it may not look bad at all. A scar "stretched wider than normal" may not be noticeable depending on how much hair grows through the incision itself and the characteristics of that hair, which in your case looks thick and course (a good thing).

CDA,

I don't know who performed the procedure or who evaluated the scar at 3.5 months; but as a doctor who does a lot of strip surgery, I have a few general comments:

1) Scars mature just like the results do.

What your scar looks like at the 1,3,and even 6 month mark is different than what it will look like at the 12 month -- and possibly beyond -- mark. Up to 6 months, the scars tend to be more inflamed, more pronounced to the touch, redder, and surrounded by more visible temporary shock loss. I think it's probably a little too early to say it's "stretched" at 3.5 months. It will go through a period of maturation where it contracts, flattens, and becomes less inflamed. I'd make an assessment closer to the 12 month mark.

2) Try to limit the amount of touching and manipulating of the scar

While I think it's very difficult to cause the scar to "stretch" with physical activity, I have seen many scars more inflamed and obvious in the post-operative period simply because patients were manipulating them a lot! They were palpating the scar to try and feel it, pulling up on the surrounding tissue to move the hair and get a look at it in the mirror, and rubbing it thoroughly several times a day to apply ointments and creams. My personal recommendation would be to keep this to a minimum.

3) Follow your clinic's post-op scar instructions carefully

Clinics have differing theories when it comes to minimizing scarring and handling the healing donor area in the post-op. Some clinics want you to wait before engaging in certain physical activities; some want you to put certain ointments and creams on it; others want you to leave it alone. Regardless of the instructions themselves, make sure you are following your clinic's specific orders as closely as possible.

4) There can be more temporary inflammation if deep suture material was used

Any idea if the clinic closed with multiple layers? The body has to break down and sometimes work this material out, and this can cause some more inflammation in the post-op period. The same temporary inflammation may be apparent if a trichophytic closure was utilized.

So I hope this is helpful. Just my "two cents."

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.