Propecia every other day

Kpat131

Hey everyone,

I've been on Propecia for the last three or four years and I'm thinking about dropping it to every other day. I'd just like to find out if anyone has had any bad experience or success with three times a week or even twice a week.

Thanks guys

I've heard of people breaking their proscar tablets, which are 5mg, in half and doing every other day, but I haven't heard of people doing it with the 1mg propecia tablets.

That's not to say it will be harmful, but I would seek medical advice on the matter from the doctor who prescribed you the propecia.

Medical opinions from those who know your case the best trump anything we could tell you in this forum.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

Propecia EOD or 1/4 of Proscar EOD is fine either way. It makes little difference because what matters more is consistency. The medication itself has a short half-life but once you reach a point of relative saturation then maintaining is important. Some patients even take it twice a week, on a very strict schedule, with benefits but there is evidence to suggest that the efficacy is related to the dosage so if you are experiencing maintenance of your hair or you even had an improvement for your hair, don't experiment too much with a much lower intake frequency.

Online representative for Dr. Bernard Arocha

Learn more about Hair Transplants in Texas!

I am probably not the best example because at the end of the day, I don't think Propecia did anything for me whether I used it once a day or once every other day. However, when I was using it once a day I made the same choice and decided to go to every other day splitting Proscar tablets. The process worked pretty well for me and was very easy. I didn't lose any additional hair. But now, I'm not using any provision and still not losing additional hair. So I don't know if any of that made a difference for me personally.

Whether or not going to every other day will be a success for you will likely depend on how aggressive your hair loss is and how well Propecia is currently working. Sometimes I think it's better not to mess with a good thing, if it's working why change it however, I also don't like the idea of continually using medication in my entire life if I don't have to. Therefore, I can see why somebody might choose to take less of it.

Please keep us posted and let us know what you are going to do.

Best wishes,

Bill

Thanks for your replies.

Right now I am not really seeing any hair in my hands after I put product in it.

I am going to try Propecia every other day and see if that changes.

I also only use minoxidil once a day at night.

Will keep you guys posted of any changes.

thanks

When I first started finasteride I began taking 1/4 generic Proscar daily. However, I got some uncomfortable side effects and dropped it to 1/4 tablet MWF. I felt this worked will for my hair while helping diminish side effects.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

When I first started finasteride I began taking 1/4 generic Proscar daily. However, I got some uncomfortable side effects and dropped it to 1/4 tablet MWF. I felt this worked will for my hair while helping diminish side effects.

David, did u start using Proscar after your first transplant?. What was the reason to use it if I may ask?, thanks.

My Thread: 

Twice a week smaller dose (.625mg) works for me, but everyone is different.

You didn't mention the reason for dropping to less frequent dose (common reasons are sides or concerns about sides).

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)