Punch Size

Hi!

So I hadn't really thought about the punch size before and the scars it may leave. Does anybody have any idea what the ideal and max./min. sized punch is? I know the difference between the motor and manual punch but I am talking about the size of the tool fr the extraction.

I ask because I am debating getting just the top and hairline done and leaving the crown for a couple of years but it is already quite bald. The best way to deal with this would be to shave the hair short (which really suits my head shape anyway) however, I am concerned (but not massively if I am honest) about the scars. I used to have a number 2 for years when I was in my teens and early 20s and I looked just fine and it seems a number 2 is fine for FUE scars anyway.

What are more knowledgable people's thoughts?

The punch size will depend on your hair caliber and graft characteristics but the smaller punches in the .7mm-.8mm range are what the better docs use. Also larger punches may be used for the higher count FU's like 3s and 4s and also those with curly hair.

The typical full range is around .7mm-1.2mm.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

• 2 weeks later...

All my grafts were extracted with a .8 mm punch. I have a good picture of my cropped hair in preparation for my second surgery where approx.1,700 grafts were extracted two years prior. I'll find that picture and post it very soon.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.