One leading doctor's representative has told me the doctor doesn't do crown work until the patient is 35. They said it is because at that age the hairloss in the area is more stable and the doctor knows wht they're dealing with then.

Does this not apply to the whole head then? Would it not be better to wait until I am 35 and then having FUE?

• Administrators

Waiting until you're 35 depends on the individual, for example if you are 25 and have slight thinning in the crown it would be best to wait, conversely, if you're 30 and have a fully developed pattern most docs would perform the surgery.

Most doctors would like to wait when you're in the beginning stages of crown loss because it's difficult to predict just how much it will expand, this could lead to what is commonly referred to as "donut hole" when you have a donut hole of hair with everything else bald surrounding it. Nothing is set in stone but 35 is just a guideline for most docs.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.