Scarring

Hi All,

Been a long time reader, occasional poster. Really value everyones opinion here, and I was about to pull the trigger, but now am sort of at a crossroads....

I was planning on going with a top doctor on this site. I keep my head shaved down to a .5 (0 guard, but the long side) and I do that every 5 days. I have had SMP done but i have some hair on top (even though I am a norwood 6) so I dont have to shave it to the bone.

My plan : I want to take 3k grafts and put it on the front of my head. I want to frame my face. Everything else can be shaved down. I plan on having the SMP done a little darker around the remainder of my entire head. SO, once i get the surgery, i want to keep it at this .5 (0 guard) length, and eventually a little shorter so that the SMP matches it throughout, and just grow out the front (think military type cut). I am 6 foot 5, with a slightly tan complextion, and I believe that i could pull off the look.

The real question I have is, will the scarring, surgery, etc etc etc be noticeable? I am seeing some people talk about white dots, i am seeing some examples of white dots being so spread out that you cant really tell, I am hearing from some doctors that it wont be an issue and i am hearing the opposite from others.

I don't know what to do, I am at my end here with all the reading and research I have done - i don't care about a little white scarring, the back of my head isn't that important to look perfect - I just don't want people to be able to notice it if you get what i mean?

I want to get my surgery, keep it at this length (see pics) and not having anything notice - then darken the SMP EVERYWHERE (in about 4 months when things have healed) so that i give the appearance of having a shaved dome, and then grow out the frontal third. I will grow my hair to a 1 guard for the surgery (as was required) and then 2 weeks later I will shave it back down to a 0 guard (will scarring be noticeable or not really?.......)

Any, and all advice, is super super appreciated.

Thanks!!!!!!!

IMG_7547.thumb.jpg.6089c8c91a2891257a215a0e4167e283.jpg

IMG_7550.thumb.jpg.5c2b0deb93f6da43495f5db5d5ed5088.jpg

IMG_7551.thumb.jpg.a732e01fcfb2f5f7ea80ee38fd198567.jpg

IMG_7553.thumb.jpg.043f16c3e59b3b337c28efed95331418.jpg

unfortunately, you won't really know what your scalp in the donor area is going to look like until you do it. Darker skin types tend to show lighter spots more than fair skin. However in some cases patients with slighter darker skin types still have less pigmentation underneath the hair on the scalp. You might consider getting SMP in the donor area as well.

• 3 weeks later...

If i am destined to be a norwood 6, lets just say, could i get fue (lets say 4500 grafts) disperse them evenly around my head, get SMP (which i already have) and then keep my hair at a 1? Would i work at no guard, but at 1/2 length? I'm trying to be as conservative as possible, so my idea is to keep buzzing my head, i am just against a wet shave or anything less than a 0. How would that look? Is that reasonable?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Dr. Charles gave you some great insight, that's the truth and the reality of the situation. There's really no way to know until surgery is performed as to what scoring will look like on your scalp. Honestly, my personal opinion is that if somebody is likely to keep their head shaved down all of their life, don't get a hair transplant. If you intend to grow your hair out a little bit, which includes the hair on the sides and back of your head, then get one. I'm not suggesting you have to grow your hair out long, but to shave it down to a number one clip or even a zero clip, there is a possibility that scoring will show through. If you let the hair on the sides and back of your head grow to a two or three or four clip, it's still exceptionally short, but chances of showing scarring will be significantly reduced.

But like I said, if you have no real intention of growing your hair out at all, don't get a hair transplant. Maybe consider scalp micropigmentation instead.

Best wishes,

Bill

I think I'm doing a poor job of articulating my point....

I'm resigning myself to the fact that I won't have a full head of hair - I'm trying to get the best result possible, and for me, that's getting an illusion of a full head of hair. I've been researching for years now, and got SMP done as a filer a few years ago and wore my hair at a 2 guard, and since I've thinned, now a 1/2 guard in order to keep things uniform.

I am not totally comfortable with a slick wet shave which is what SMP requires once there is no growing hair on top. I'm trying to come up with the best possible solution - If I'm

Able to wear my hair at a 0, 1, 2 , 3 or 4 all around after transplanting a lot, or a little, through FUE, and in combination with the smp give the illusion of full hair, I would pursue it .

The reason I thought of this was cases I've seen - (and some doctors recommendations) - get FUE after SMP to add "texture" to the scalp. That would mean avoiding the 2D wet shave of smp right ?

I'm also fine with grafting everything I have to the frontal third of my head and SMP'ing the rest of my head, then growing out that frontal region long to rock a military style or " extreme" high and tight look.

Again, I'm just asking for opinions on which route would be best - dispersment, or density in the front, based on these picture