transplanting hair into vellus patch

No it won't affect the newly transplanted hairs but you can expect to lose most/all of these vellus hairs after the surgery. Most people take the decision that the vellus hairs are not offering any cosmetic improvement so take that risk.

Senior Patient Advisor for Dr Edward Ball of The Maitland Clinic.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of The Maitland Clinic.

Formerly Garageland of Hasson & Wong with 20 years of history in Hair Restoration.

Meet with myself for a free consultation and advice in London on June 21st 2018.

I agree with David. Vellus hair is usually very thin in caliber and provides little to no visual coverage.

In addition, the trauma can shock the weak vellus hair right out and probably would not grow back.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

ok thanks guys. I agree that the vellus hair doesn't help much. I'm not too interested in preserving the vellus hairs, I just wanted to know if it can affect survival of transplanted hair.

One thing is for sure...you will like the transplants much better!...:D

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 2 months later...

I am 5.5 weeks from my HT. I am seeing a fair amount of vellus hairs in my recipient region. I had this before due to minoxidil, but from my research it appeared these wouldn't survive the HT. Is it possible these are the existing vellus hairs or first stage of growth for the transplanted follicles?

My HT Journey

The FUT surgery experience and results

Disguising my FUT Scar

Medications and Supplements

Supplements: Biotin, MSM

5% Minoxidil Foam

Regenepure Shampoo (re-starting 1mo after HT)

I am 5.5 weeks from my HT. I am seeing a fair amount of vellus hairs in my recipient region. I had this before due to minoxidil, but from my research it appeared these wouldn't survive the HT. Is it possible these are the existing vellus hairs or first stage of growth for the transplanted follicles?
Could be either/ or. You'll know around month 8 or 9 if your yield is coming in well.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

I agree with everybody who has posted that vellus hair is will not provide any real significant cosmetic improvements and thus, I wouldn't really worry about transplanting over top of them. And of course, the new grafts will be fine and won't be affected by the vellus hairs.

Best wishes,

Bill

The vellus hair surviving is good for two reasons, which is why I bumped this thread.

1) It's a sort of "ground cover", as Dr. Alexander put it. It may only have a minor, if at all, visible impact to thickness.

2) With current meds and treatments vellus hairs rarely can be moved back into terminal hairs, but that doesn't mean it won't be possible in the future with new medications or treatments. Thus, maintaining vellus hair is in a way, keeping hair follicles on life support. Perhaps one day they'll be productive again.

These are both minor in nature compared to the overall HT, but never the less potentially significant in our world of hair.

My HT Journey

The FUT surgery experience and results

Disguising my FUT Scar

Medications and Supplements

Supplements: Biotin, MSM

5% Minoxidil Foam

Regenepure Shampoo (re-starting 1mo after HT)