3 Months Post-op Start taking Finasteride

HockeyGuy

So I am now 3 months post-op from a transplant. I think I have been convinced to start taking finasteride. I know that when you first take it shedding occurs.

My question is... I just went through a shedding phase and my hair should be right now starting its growth phase. If I start taking fin now will my hair shed or not come in for three months?

Thanks.

I think not many replies because it's impossible to predict exactly how another person will react to Fin, everyone reacts differently.

Yes I think it's possible to experience shedding when starting (and also stopping) Finasteride. But it could also make your hair thicker and darker, and it could also give you permanent side effects.

You could try low dose (.5mg for example) 2x or 3x week and then monitor it closely. Just be careful as it's not a full proof treatment and some people experience permanent side effects.

Always check with your doctor when starting medication including having PSA screening done before starting this drug.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

So I am now 3 months post-op from a transplant. I think I have been convinced to start taking finasteride. I know that when you first take it shedding occurs.

Myth. Shedding is uncommon. Before anybody goes on a rant, yes I know it happens to some, but it's not the typical experience.

Edited by KO

In the past I used to swear you worked for Merck the way you strongly defend Fin, the truth is we don't know how the OP will respond to the drug, and just because you don't or didn't experience shedding doesn't make it a myth.

Rant over.. lol

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

I was not trolling but I knew somebody wouldn't be able to resist. :D But the truth still stands, shedding, while reported, is not the typical experience. The way OP phrased it made it sound like it was the default, which is not true. That's all I have to say.

It depends. If you have a lot of weak hair, you could get a shed. If you have a lot of seeing hair and were just tuning up a hairline, it's pretty unlikely you would see a significant shed. I wouldn't call a fin shed super uncommon, but its nothing like shock loss from a transplant. I've seen done noticeable positive differences at 3 and 4 months months with fin and Minox.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I was not trolling but I knew somebody wouldn't be able to resist. :D But the truth still stands, shedding, while reported, is not the typical experience. The way OP phrased it made it sound like it was the default, which is not true. That's all I have to say.

At least you knew it was coming lol :cool:

Honestly life time hair loss sufferer as you all may know, before any HT or treatment I slowly and gradually lost hair one strand at a time almost until around the age of 42. The only time I ever shed hair in my life and at times massively was on Fin, and I'll admit my best hair ever while was on it.

If it's working as Spanker mentions, you'll likely get a shed and hopefully a short-lived one.

good luck

go dense or go home

Thank you all. I guess I was figuring since I just went through a shed with a hair transplant 3 months ago and was entering the growth phase now perhaps shedding would be avoided. We all know coming out of the ugly duck shed phase post transplant is the worst. I'm excited to start growing and don't want to reverse now even for a short time.