2900 Follicular Units Transplanted By Dr Paul Shapiro

Chuckles55

I'm in my 50s with curly hair that began to thin around 30 years old. At 40 with limited funds I had 1500follicular units transplanted by Dr Ron Shapiro. The hair was implanted mainly around the hairline. Implants and staples were hidden by my hair. I did have some facial swelling days later because I hadn't applied enough ice. I was very satisfied with the results. 14 years later and now in my fifties I had gotten much thinner on the top of my head but still had coverage over the top. I went to Dr Paul Shapiro who was very nice. He indicated if I wanted to meet my goal for coveragd he would have to cut my hair quite short on top. I agreed and he proceeded to transplant approximately 2909 follicular units over the top of my head. The staples in back were quite tight but all appeared to go well.

It was quite embarrassing returning to work a week later but I hoped it would be worth it. I babied the transplants and followed all directions. The transplanted hair seemed to stay in much longer than the first transplant and I even thought they may just start to grow. They eventually fell out after a month or more. The unfortunate part is most of the hair didn't grow back. I look far worse now 2.5 years after my 2nd surgery than I did prior. I have no idea what happened. I can't afford another transplantation and even if I could I don't know how much donor hair is even available. All the time, effort, money and embarrassment and I'm

Worse off today. Very disappointing experience.

Sorry to hear about that, have you been in contact with Dr. Paul?

Also do you have any post-op pics you can post, and are you on Finasteride?

Just wondering if you continued to lose your native hair over the years leading to a situation where the new transplants could not really add any significant additional coverage.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

I did send an e-mail to the general e-mail box at Shapiro and haven't yet received a response. I do have a few pics of the top of my head a few weeks following surgery which I will include.

I did have enough hair on top prior to surgery that most of my scalp was hidden. With my hair also being gray, brown and curly it helped to hide the scalp. With no follicular units really needed on the crown at all as I still had coverage there the 2900 units transplanted on the 2nd surgery should have created nice coverage along with my existing hair.

I'm realistic and know it will never be like when I was a kid but Dr. Paul also thought if I allowed him to cut my hair short to have access to my entire scalp that I would achieve a nice result.

The procedure was a 2nd strip removal.

I will try to attach a few post-op photos this evening.

Hi Chuckles,

I'm very sorry to hear you're not happy with your second procedure. We generally have a high satisfaction rate with growth 95-100% growth rate.

You said your procedure was 2+ years ago. Did you have a 12 months after surgery follow up consultation with Matt Zupan or Dr. Paul? Shapiro Medical stands by their work. I'm sure they will want to speak with you and take care of you. Please contact matt@shapiromedical.com or Dr. Paul at pshapiromd@shapiromedical.com.

Edited by Janna