Not happy with SMP result 9 months later

LT

Back in March I had my 2nd SMP session into my 2 strip scars by a top practiconer in NYC. The scars were not invisible but it was a big improvement after the permanent SMP was done. I was able to use clippers with no guard on the sides.

9 months later the SMP looks darker and faded. My goal was to camouflage the 2 strip scars so I can shave my head as I am a NW 5.

Am I already do for touch up??? Isn't the permanent SMP supposed to last longer?? Am I supposed to keep forking over $1,000s for more SMP? I'm glad I didn't t do my fricken scalp done.

I'm not calling out the practiconer just yet I'm giving this person a chance to work something out.

What are options here? I believe I deserve a free touch up session or 2 being it's not even a year yet and I gladly payed $1,700.

20161204_110614.thumb.jpg.7ef98cae5afb4e9b0891f7510f465579.jpg

Edited by LT

I can't really tell anything from the pics except that you are starting out with a very good scar. If you have pre op pics it would help but I can see where it looks a little darker more towards your ear. The bottom scar looks good to me too.

You are so light I think that you really have to be careful not to overdo it.

My next question is are you sure you got permanent SMP? Did you sign anything that said that you know that SMP in scars is unpredictable?

Overall, it doesn't look that bad at all IMO. I looked back at your posts and see that you have been wanting to just shave your head for over a decade.

Friendly advice, that is too long of your life to waste. I think you should rock on out and go for it and F the scar. I am not saying to not negotiate a touchup or something, I am just saying that I can see that you have been tormented for a long time and it is time to move on.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Thanks for the response Spanker. The picture is to bright and I am definitely not light skinned. I've been using dermatch forever now. Thanks to 2 botched HT I don't have enough donor hair. You are absolutely right that I have been tormented because of hairloss. I would have shaved my head years ago if it wasn't for my strip scars.

Hi LT, sorry about your disappointing fading of the scar. It looks pretty good from the photo but I understand how photos can often look far different than what it looks like in person, and different lighting certainly changes things as well.

Hopefully the provider works something out for you. Many providers offer a free touch up within the first year after treatment....probably a silly question but do you know if that is something your provider offers? If not maybe they will extend that to you since it faded so fast.

Also you mentioned you have been using Dermmatch for a while now. If you don't mind me asking, How has it worked for you? What color do you use? Is it a hassle to deal with or is it relatively easy to maintain the look?

I know from experience that smp can be a great thing but fading usually does occur...sometimes to a lesser degree and sometimes significant. Just another frustrating part of dealing with hair loss i suppose :(

Thanks for the response. I don't know if the provider offers free touch up. I hope so being it's only been 9 months.

As for as dermatch it's worked wonders for me for years. The only problem is i basically have been living a lie for so long now using it. It's hard to use now as I'm a NW 5. So if i decide to shave my head people are going to be like what the hell happened? It's very similar to wearing a hair piece you are just fooling people. You also worry that someone will find out your using it. It's not good for you psychologically.

Thanks for the response. I don't know if the provider offers free touch up. I hope so being it's only been 9 months.

Yes that is a very short span of time for a permanent result to fade...i know from experience that scar tissue is much less stable making it less predictable but still, there should be a free touch up within first year or discount at least.

I hope they get it worked out for you and everything resolves well

As for as dermatch it's worked wonders for me for years. The only problem is i basically have been living a lie for so long now using it. It's hard to use now as I'm a NW 5. So if i decide to shave my head people are going to be like what the hell happened? It's very similar to wearing a hair piece you are just fooling people. You also worry that someone will find out your using it. It's not good for you psychologically.

This would be my concern using Dermmatch as well...having to keep up the regiment in order to keep up the appearance and the psychological effects it would have on me and paranoia....good advice, thanks

Bill, I got permanent SMP into the strip scars because I didn't want to keep going back and getting touch ups with temporary smp. I didn't expect it to change color 9 months later. Glad i didn't get my scalp done, would that have changed color also? The practiconer I went is supposed to be one of the best.

How can touch up SMP improve my scars when the existing SMP has darkened in color? Wouldn't touch make it worst? Should I get temporary SMP instead of going back for more permanent SMP into the scars??

I have had temporary SMP done back in 2010-2011. I would much rather have it fade and disappear then change darker color.

Everything I have done with fighting my hairloss has been some of the biggest mistakes in life.

Edited by LT

LT,

I'm sorry you are frustrated and upset with the result 9 months later. It does seem peculiar to me that the ink would already look different 9 months later. Do you have any comparison pictures to show us? For instance, can you maybe provide us with a side by side comparison, what your scar looked like before the SMP, right after the SMP and now? This might give us a better idea of what it looked like.

I know you said you're giving the practitioner a chance to work with you. I do hope that something can be worked out.

Please keep us posted.

Best wishes,

Bill

Going on 3 days since I emailed the practicener with photos and I still haven't heard back. I also texted them yesterday. I haven't mentioned the provider's name or company. They probably monitor this forum and saw this. I do have a couple of more pictures to post but waiting to hear back. I won't post any info about the practicener if we can work something out. I would post photos after touch up. They have to understand my frustration that it's not even one year yet the permanent SMP changed color and fading in some spots. I paid $1,700 for this.

Edited by LT

• 3 weeks later...