When is it save to buzz your hair after FUE?

Dear Doctors and otherwise experts,

After a FUE procedure you will enter the ugly duckling fase. I am in it, almost 3 weeks now. I would like to buzz it all off, with or without a guard. and let it grow after 3 or 4 months.

My question is. When is it safe to buzz your hair after a FUE procedure?

When searching online and ask the clinic I went to the timespan varies between roughly two weeks to 3 months.

Is it better to do with or without a guard or does it not matter?

Thanks for your inputts!

At three weeks I would advise you use a guard.

Your doner and recipient areas will still be tender and sore to the harsh touch, so unless you have sadomasochist tendencies and revel in your own pain, I would probably play it safe with a guard, say a no.3 or 4.

After 3-4 months it's probably time to let it grow out as it will hopefully grow uniformly with your native hair.

At three weeks I would advise you use a guard.

Your doner and recipient areas will still be tender and sore to the harsh touch, so unless you have sadomasochist tendencies and revel in your own pain, I would probably play it safe with a guard, say a no.3 or 4.

After 3-4 months it's probably time to let it grow out as it will hopefully grow uniformly with your native hair.

Thanks for your answer. My donor is not sore anymore but my recipient is indeed still sensitive. I am not that into SM, if I was I don't think this is the appropriate forum!!;)

Just to make sure we are on the same side. Guard 3/4, do you mean 3mm and 4mm? Most guys here are from the states so I want to be absolutely clear. I am planning to buzz it next tuesday before I go back to work. I will be at 3,5 weeks by then.

cheers

Hi Harbal,

After 3 weeks, if you had your head shaved it will now probably be at a length of about 6mm or thereabouts, to get it uniform with your transplanted hair you may need to go down to 4mm. Once your transplanted hair starts to grow you could progress to 6mm, 10mm and then 13mm.

The trick to achieve a natural look whilst going through the growing stages is to keep your native hair the same length as your transplanted hair. That's what worked with me.

Of course this theory does somewhat fly out the window during the shedding stage.

Thanks again Shera!

I think I will do the top on 4mm, the sides on 2 and the back depending on de donor. Will ask my barber his opinion the first time. Now in the shedding phase with really thick dark hair on the sides and see-through on top I look like a nutty professor ;)

Just to make sure we are on the same side. Guard 3/4, do you mean 3mm and 4mm? Most guys here are from the states so I want to be absolutely clear.

cheers

In the US a #3 guard is 3/8ths of an inch, #4 would be 4/8ths of an inch (half inch), etc.

Probably in the UK too, right? Aren't they "anti-metric system" as well?

3185 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 2/17/16

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182611-fut-3185-dr-rahal-day-after-pics.html

1204 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 3/27/17

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/186586-round-2-rahal-1204-fut-frontal-third-same-area.html

---> total of 4389 grafts to my frontal third via FUT

---> 1mg finasteride daily since 1999:)

Everybody heals differently and every doc has their own advice. Considering it is a big investment, maybe 3 months would be a safe timeframe. You do not want to risk any issues, esp fungal infections like ringworm or other issues by getting haircuts. Some docs dont even recommend hair dye for quite some time. Its always better to becsafe then sorry. Good luck