Buzzed FUT question

Why do people grow their hair out before coming in for a transplant when they are going to shave the recipient area for the transplant? Then, 10-15 days later when the staples come out they buzz down everything so it's all the same length and the scar is then exposed anyhow. Why not just buzz everything down before getting the transplant. Wouldn't that be easier to take care of the donor area the first few days?

Buzzing may merely be a matter of availability. As a witness of countless surgeries, I haven't had the pleasure of seeing the majority of FUT procedures where the recipient is shaved. I have seen the donor strip shaved prior to excision.

Some clinics offer options of recipient area preparation methods. For example, there is a partial shaven and fully shaven option available.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

• Moderators

I have never had my recipient area shaved for a procedure.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

In most cases a clinic will suggest leaving the hair longer in the donor area so the patient can hide the scar post op. Some patients trim the donor once the stitches/staples are out to try to adjust the balance from the sides the top, most do this trying to cover the scar from my experience.

Not many patients are happy walking around with a visible donor scar. Some shave the donor to make it easier to extract the strip and can hide under a hat until it has all grown out but again these are more of an exception and most need to get back to work without obvious signs that they have had surgery.

Senior Patient Advisor for Dr Edward Ball of The Maitland Clinic.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of The Maitland Clinic.

Formerly Garageland of Hasson & Wong with 20 years of history in Hair Restoration.

Meet with myself for a free consultation and advice in London on June 21st 2018.

I also had 4 separate FUHT procedures and never had the recipient area shaved down. On my last procedure, the hair was cut shorter before any of the grafts were placed but never buzzed real short.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY