Do Strip Scars Become More Visible in Old Age?

As someone who is hoping and praying to live to a ripe, old age, I am trying to consider the consequences of my upcoming FUT procedure long-term. We all know the "safe zone" is LESS susceptible to DHT, but not necessarily immune. I assume that even the safe zone thins over time.

As the area where the strip was taken thins out in old age, does a patient have to worry about a previously concealed FUT scar becoming obviously visible? Is this one of the downsides of FUT? Has the procedure been around long enough for people to experience this?

But won't such thinning also result in FUE scars being revealed by a thinning donor?

Also, I would think a good doctor would take into account current density and age in projecting whether a patient is a good long term FUT candidate.

I'm willing to guess the older people you saw had diffuse thinning and were not good candidates for FUT to begin with.

I think it depends on how the original scar healed and which Doctor you went to.

Scar stetching is a real possibility, also if you did strenuous weight training etc. in the post op months after your HT that would have an impact as well.

However decently performed fue still depletes your donor, so if you have 4000-5000 fue grafts removed for example you may end up looking very thin at old age in the donor, so total lifetime donor management is important regardless of fue or fut.

These days SMP also helps with disguising old fut scars also.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

• Administrators
But won't such thinning also result in FUE scars being revealed by a thinning donor?

Also, I would think a good doctor would take into account current density and age in projecting whether a patient is a good long term FUT candidate.

I'm willing to guess the older people you saw had diffuse thinning and were not good candidates for FUT to begin with.

Very little hair is needed to cover up FUE scars, if anything the only problem I see with FUE down the line is the donor looking depleted or very thin, but I highly doubt anything 1mm and below will be visible even with a depleted donor or thinned out donor. In my opinion it's because FUE's pattern is intrinsically scattered across the whole donor region, this makes it very hard for the human eye to detect any abrupt changes from hair to scar.

I give the analogy of a brand new car, it would be much easier to spot a straight linear scratch even if it was thin, than it would be little dot scratches, especially if they are scattered.

Example:

See how difficult it would be to see these spots if they were not pointed out to you, or if you weren't looking at the car very closely. Just walking by the human eye would not detect the change.

Q1lnwSN.jpg

Example:

Now see how your eye is automatically drawn to the drastic shift from paint to no paint in a linear line. This would be seen fairly easy even at a reasonable distance with no need to point anything out.

Mk6vnMC.jpg

With that being said, i'm sure you've done your research and have weighed out the pros and cons extensively for your own personal situation, so there really is no need to psyche yourself out prior to surgery. There are many possibilities with surgery no surgery is guaranteed, if you are bothered enough by hair loss to commit to surgery knowing the implications involved then I don't see why a scar would hold you back. At the end of the day no surgical procedure is without scars.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.