Artis vs. Manual Transplant

HairOptions

I have checked in with a few different providers, two are indicating that the Artis robotic hair transplant is the way to go, one is stating that a manual hair transplant is the way to go (removing strips from the back of the head) and transplanting manually in the loss area. I appreciate feedback on both of these procedures and even more so, look forward to hearing from anyone who has done both.

Hello and welcome to our community!

It seems that we need to begin by clarifying some terminology before you can make an informed decision.

There are two hair transplant procedures that differ in the method of extraction. In follicular unit strip surgery or FUSS (often referred to as FUT or simply "strip"), the donor hair is harvested by excising a strip of hair-bearing scalp around the back of the head in the "permanent" donor supply. This strip is then dissected by a team of tech under microscopic magnification in order to separate the follicular units. Strip is not defined as being manual necessarily.

With follicular unit extraction (FUE) hair restoration physicians harvest the follicular unit grafts individually using a punch. This punch may be manual or motorized.

The ARTAS Robotic Hair Transplant System is an automated FUE system programmed by a physician to harvest follicular units and create recipient sites.

If you investigate our recommended hair transplant surgeons you'll find that some perform both strip and FUE while others perform one procedure exclusively. Of the FUE practitioners, some use manual tools, some use motorized tools and some use ARTAS.

Ultimately, what matters is that the physician you choose delivers high-quality results consistently. The tool they use to deliver those results is far less important in my opinion.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Another think I forgot to stress is that both strip and FUE utilize the same method of implantation. They only differ in the way the grafts are harvested.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

• 1 month later...
Another think I forgot to stress is that both strip and FUE utilize the same method of implantation. They only differ in the way the grafts are harvested.

I thought manual FUE usually gives far superior results than motorised FUE

I would go with manual FUE, the elite FUE surgeons (most of them are located outside of North America) all use manual methods, such as Bisanga, Lorenzo and ASMED etc.

Seems robotic fue was introduced in the states to help reduce the labor and costs of fue procedures, but clinics who have gone ahead and purchased the equipment then have to heavily promote it so as to avoid losing out on their investment. So be careful of how such clinics may try to hype it.

I would stay away from robotic FUE.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

HairOptions,

Here's a thread discussing the differences between manual FUE and other types of FUE -- motorized, robotic, etc.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182966-*video*-fue-clinics-avoid-dr-feller-dr-bloxham-great-neck-ny.html

May be helpful!

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

HairOptions,

Here's a thread discussing the differences between manual FUE and other types of FUE -- motorized, robotic, etc.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.co...t-neck-ny.html

May be helpful!

I fully agree with alot of what this video states.

Hairoptions

If I had a choice between getting ARTAS for free or paying even $20 a graft for manual, I rather pay. I have been around forum for over 14 years and still receive many email from people asking me for my advice. I have heard (not seen many but some in photos) about robot machine from this people that email and the majority is negative.

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Are you paying a surgeon to do your surgery or a robot? I'd take surgeon extractions above anything a non surgeon can control.

If you are looking for FUE, go to a FUE expert with a strong track record and even a repair record. Good luck.