Scalp laxity excercises - how soon to start after previous FUSS procedure ?

Presently considering a second pass to address my crown following my first procedure last December .

The scar can take a fairly long period to fully heal after the procedure ( apparently the tensile strength of a wound reaches about 70% at 6 months ) I'm around 9 months post op , so would think it would now be safe to start scalp laxity excercises ?

I'd assume there would be little chance of any scar stretch by this stage ?

Why not just do Fue instead?

i may do , but want to keep all options open .

Still hoping to get 3000 plus grafts for the 2nd pass , and if FUSS is likely to be the optimal solution , laxity permitting , that may be the best way to go.

Well you already got a scar so going for another FUT could be the best option especially if you want to move more hair in one go & a bigger session.

Have you seen your doctor?

Have you a idea of how many grafts you may need? If its high like over 1500 then yep stick with the same scar if possible.

Normally patients do scalp exercises a few mths prior some say it helps, some say it don't but your doctor should give you a better idea.

Good luck.

Well you already got a scar so going for another FUT could be the best option especially if you want to move more hair in one go & a bigger session.

Have you seen your doctor?

Have you a idea of how many grafts you may need? If its high like over 1500 then yep stick with the same scar if possible.

Normally patients do scalp exercises a few mths prior some say it helps, some say it don't but your doctor should give you a better idea.

Good luck.

The scar from my initial surgery is really very good . I reckon I could get away with a no.2 cut if I tried it . A slight concern over doing FUSS again is if the scar stretched after a second session . At the time I did the HT ( last December ) the Dr said my laxity wasn't great , so I may not even have an option to go FUSS .

The crown to be addressed is around 75 cm2 , so hoping around 3k grafts are available to get decent coverage .

Hay criss,

yep sounds like a lot of hair to move & if possible the doc can snag that many which may be doubtful giving what you said but still if he can get say 2K Fuss then the rest FUE & maybe fingers crossed your scar would not stretch that much but also last stop saloon could be having a small FUE 3rd HT into the scar but guess we are touching the bottom of the barrel by that time but could be a option maybe right?

Best to not only seek professional help from your very own HT guy but also have a chat with maybe a few more but this can only be done on a one on one basis as you well know right?

Sorry I wish I had a crystal ball but this stuff for us blue collar workers is a hit or miss type of deal.

I wish you the best whatever you decide but take your time.

At 9 months your scar should most likely be pretty stable. I think scalp exercises cannot hurt but they do not guarantee much in terms of how your 2nd FUT scar will look. I have seen several docs suggest doing this about 30 days before FUT, but I doubt there is much in the way of hard data to support this number. I.e. is 30 days better than 15 days and worse than 45 days? If anyone has data on this I would like to see it.

Hay criss,

yep sounds like a lot of hair to move & if possible the doc can snag that many which may be doubtful giving what you said but still if he can get say 2K Fuss then the rest FUE & maybe fingers crossed your scar would not stretch that much but also last stop saloon could be having a small FUE 3rd HT into the scar but guess we are touching the bottom of the barrel by that time but could be a option maybe right?

Best to not only seek professional help from your very own HT guy but also have a chat with maybe a few more but this can only be done on a one on one basis as you well know right?

Sorry I wish I had a crystal ball but this stuff for us blue collar workers is a hit or miss type of deal.

I wish you the best whatever you decide but take your time.

Hey ontop ,

Thanks for the input .

Yes , it's a bit of a conundrum really as we wont know how it works out until the deed is done . Did have a brief chat with Dr K after the surgery and he intimated I should have at least 2k plus grafts to go at . Hopefully the second pass will be my last , but if need be would consider a 3rd surgery ( including BHT if necessary ).

If the chance of scar stretch wasn't a concern , I'd go with FUSS in a heartbeat. Unfortunately , like you say , you just can't predict how it will turn out.

I will seek out other opinions and see what comes back.

Thanks again !

At 9 months your scar should most likely be pretty stable. I think scalp exercises cannot hurt but they do not guarantee much in terms of how your 2nd FUT scar will look. I have seen several docs suggest doing this about 30 days before FUT, but I doubt there is much in the way of hard data to support this number. I.e. is 30 days better than 15 days and worse than 45 days? If anyone has data on this I would like to see it.

Cheers Louis - yep , lots of different opinions on the periods required to excercise for maximum laxity.