Washing your hair after a FUE transplant

Went and got my done 5 days ago. I've just been gently patting the shampoo on the recipient area for the last few days and pouring cups of water to wash it off but how long can I start properly washing it with a shower head and how best is it to wash it when I start washing it properly?

Hi Patrick,

The simple answer is: when your clinic tells you you can. This is because almost all clinics have slightly different instructions when it comes to post-operative washing.

I tell my patients to use the cup method for 3 days (starting the day after surgery) and avoid direct water pressure from the shower head during this period as well. Starting day 4, I tell them to start gently massaging with fingertips -- not fingernails -- to wash and break up any scabbing that is forming. I further tell them to use the scabbing as an indicator of how well and aggressively they are washing. If the recipient area looks like a clean "buzz cut" without scabbing, then you're watching correctly. If you have a lot of scabbing building up, scrub harder. However, sometimes you do get a few stubborn scabs, and its okay to leave these guys alone if they don't break up with reasonable fingertip washing.

Shoot your clinic and email and see when and how they want you washing. But hopefully the above is a helpful "general" idea for post-operative cleaning.

Grow well!

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Patrick,

Blake is right, the best advice anyone can give you is to follow the advice and instructions that your hair transplant surgeon gave you. That said, as a general rule five days after your procedure, the follicle should be pretty well secured. But I wouldn't be too rough just yet. Gently massaging shampoo into your hair and scalp with only your fingertips is advisable. Don't be rough and don't use your nails. Typically it's advisable to wait a good solid week to 10 days before you wash your hair completely normally without worrying about being extra gentle to the follicular units. In my opinion, it's always better to err on the side of caution because after all, hair transplant surgery is a lifetime investment.

Best wishes and happy growing,

Bill

Thanks guys, they said after four days I could gently start messaging it with the hands etc then I researched it and got different answers so held back. That's great though, I'm on day 6 I can start massaging it. Would it be okay to use a low pressure shower head now?

This is a great community by the way, everyone so helpful. Thanks again :)

Went and got my done 5 days ago. I've just been gently patting the shampoo on the recipient area for the last few days and pouring cups of water to wash it off but how long can I start properly washing it with a shower head and how best is it to wash it when I start washing it properly?

It would typically be at the two-week post-op period that you would use normal shower head pressure on the scalp. Also, keep in mind that chlorine and swimming pools should be avoided until after two weeks as well. Thanks for sharing.

Gio

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Light pressure showering shouldn't be an issue at the 9 day mark. Just be careful and gently massage the shampoo and deflect hard water pressure if you want. Regarding hair cutting, I would think that it shouldn't be an issue. If using clippers, just be very careful. You may want to just get a scissor cut this time around.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Hello,

Generally it is better to follow the advice of the surgeon. The protocol which we follow is

first head wash is given at the time of bandage removal two days after the procedure preferably at the clinic.Instructions are given to wash the head with diluted antiseptic shampoo by pouring with cup or mug followed by pouring water on the area. Not to wash under direct shower. Rubbing of the recipient area gently with finger tips in our opinion should be started after 10-12 days so that grafts are taken up properly.

Your clinic should provide the post-op instructions, but at around fourteen days, you can begin washing as normal. You should be mindful about UV rays from the sun and chlorine from swimming pools.

All the best

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Hello Sir,

I totally agree with you.

Yes we provide post operative instructions to our patients in print form. All precautions are told verbally by us and also given in print.

Thanks and regards

They did provide instructions, just heard different things from different places so just thought I'd ask, I was being super cautious about it.