FUT Scar Questions?

Are there steps that one can take after a Strip-harvest procedure to make sure that the scar does not "stretch" and heals properly?

Is the determination of how well a scar heals entirely in the hands of the surgeon's skill, luck and you body's healing ability? Or, can a HT patient make a scar worse with improper treatment or certain activities while it is healing?

Is there a window when a scar is at risk of "stretching"? Or can this happen at any time, even years after the surgery?

Does the number of FUT procedures affect the risk of a visible scar? I assume the future exisions are made directly over the scar. But do multiple FUT procedures increase the chance of a visible scar?

Is a #4 guard razor realistic with an FUT? Meaning, is the scar generally completely invisible? Or is that just something the doctors say to sell you on it? Anyone have experience wearing a #3 and #4 guard with an FUT scar?

Finally, is a strip scar more visible when wet? Does an otherwise hidden scar become completely obvious while you are swimming?

Edited by JeffC45

Years after the surgery, the risk of "stretching" should be none.

I don't know how long you've had the surgery. If you just recently had it, take it easy for a month or two. Don't lift heavy things, that's all. Not until 2 months or so, if you workout with weights.

But from my experience of 3 HT via FUT, within a couple of months, like 3 months, the redness is lessen. 4 months to 6, gone. (This might depend on a person.) And after 3 months, heavy weight lifting should be fine. After 6, forget about it.

About visible scar, if it should happen, repair of hair transplant donor scar can be done many HT doctors--possibly yours. Some doctors will do it for free because they messed up.

Don't know anything about #guard razor or swimming.

Wishing you the best.

shouldn't the scalp have this extra bit of flexibility and does fut not take this away ?

That's an interesting question. I've had 3 HT done. I could still stretch and pinch and fold the skin on back of my head. Thus, I assume we all have enough tissue/skin on the back of our heads.

I did research this just now, and I couldn't find anything. Searching "long term side effect + FUT + strip method" and got nothing yet.

I assume because this method has been done many times over, it is safe enough. Of course if you ran out of donor hairs or spaces to fill in, the doctors won't do it. Of course, there should be limit.

Maybe someone else has a saying in this.

Are there steps that one can take after a Strip-harvest procedure to make sure that the scar does not "stretch" and heals properly?

Is the determination of how well a scar heals entirely in the hands of the surgeon's skill, luck and you body's healing ability? Or, can a HT patient make a scar worse with improper treatment or certain activities while it is healing?

Is there a window when a scar is at risk of "stretching"? Or can this happen at any time, even years after the surgery?

Does the number of FUT procedures affect the risk of a visible scar? I assume the future exisions are made directly over the scar. But do multiple FUT procedures increase the chance of a visible scar?

Is a #4 guard razor realistic with an FUT? Meaning, is the scar generally completely invisible? Or is that just something the doctors say to sell you on it? Anyone have experience wearing a #3 and #4 guard with an FUT scar?

Finally, is a strip scar more visible when wet? Does an otherwise hidden scar become completely obvious while you are swimming?

The steps you should take are the ones that your clinic gives you post surgery. The number of surgeries do in fact affect the risk of a visible scar and the doctor or doctors will have to modify their approach with each subsequent surgery. They can take a more narrow strip, and longer, to avoid the consequences of an ever tightening scalp but eventually you get to the point where a doctor has to say "no more" or else a wide scar is unavoidable.

#4 guard results and even #3 guard results are very possible and are quite common (assuming a quality clinic was used) but there should never be any guarantees given in this regard.

No, donor scars do not generally become completely visible or even partially visible when the donor hair is wet, assuming the scar is of an acceptable width to begin with. If the donor hair is of low density then that may make the scar somewhat visible to you but probably not to others but if you combine a wide scar with low donor density then all bets are off.

Online representative for Dr. Bernard Arocha

Learn more about Hair Transplants in Texas!

My scar was completely hidden at grade 3.5. I've never tried a lower grade than this.