Sleeping on one side can cause hair loss?

For many years I have been sleeping to one side of my bed. Funny thing is I'm shedding hair on that side of my head. Is this coincidence or maybe a link? Anyone experience this too??

strange phenomenon if you ask me.

Coincidence!

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I agree...coincidence...do you have any other signs of MPB?

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Not likely to be the cause of the hair loss. Are you possibly pulling it while you sleep?

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

It is another form of alopecia that is more of a disorder and most times the individual is not aware they are doing it. It typically occurs while sleeping.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

It is another form of alopecia that is more of a disorder and most times the individual is not aware they are doing it. It typically occurs while sleeping.

When you say its an alopecia are you saying theres a link in sleeping with the hair loss?

In simple terms alopecia means hair loss. There are many forms or causes to the various types of alopecia.

Gillenator

bencar,

Have you ever heard of trichotillomania alopecia? It is a form of hair loss that is based on an obsessive compulsive disorder that produces an irresistible urge to pull at one's hair.

For some individuals, this can occur during their sleep and may not be aware that they are doing it.

Now, I am not suggesting that you have this disorder but merely explaining what MrGio may have been referring to.

Gillenator

bencar,

For some individuals, this can occur during their sleep and may not be aware that they are doing it.

Now, I am not suggesting that you have this disorder but merely explaining what MrGio may have been referring to.

Interesting. I never heard of such a thing. Thanks for the meaning.

You won't lose hair by sleeping on one side. That said, constant pulling, friction, etc. can cause a temporary hair loss known as telogen effluvium. The only time it can turn into permanent hair loss is if whatever pulling you are doing damages the roots. There is a condition called trichotillomania which is a psychological condition where a man or woman will compulsively pull their own hair out. While the hair might grow back at first, continued pulling will damage the roots and often leads to permanent thinning/baldness. But this is not the case for you.

Best wishes,

Bill

You won't lose hair by sleeping on one side. That said, constant pulling, friction, etc. can cause a temporary hair loss known as telogen effluvium. The only time it can turn into permanent hair loss is if whatever pulling you are doing damages the roots. There is a condition called trichotillomania which is a psychological condition where a man or woman will compulsively pull their own hair out. While the hair might grow back at first, continued pulling will damage the roots and often leads to permanent thinning/baldness. But this is not the case for you.

Best wishes,

Bill

Ok thank you for letting me know. This info may help me btw. Thanks a million for clearing it up some more!