Question About Combing and Barber after HT

I just got my first professional haircut 5 months and 7 days after my HT. Before I just did it carefully myself and didn't go near the recipient zone. I told the barber to not mess with the temples because "they are thinning" I said. Well, he kept combing very hard through my head including in the recipient zone. He had a very fine tooth comb and he was pressing so hard and fast that it actually was a little painful. My scalp still feels a little numb 2 hours later. Any chance he could have stunted or halted the future growth that should be happening in the next two months?

I highly doubt there would be any damage done . Having said that , he sounded heavy handed - you could have maybe mentioned to take it a bit gentler . No need for a barber to be so heavy handed .

I'm just over 5 months post HT and my recipient is still a little tender , so can understand it may well be over sensitive .

chris39 when did you have your first post-up hair cut? I was a bit surprised templeloss waited 5 months for his first real haircut. I am getting my staples out tomorrow and am trying to decide when I will get my first cut at least to make it look more balanced. my hairdresser is fully aware of my transplant history and will be careful....tomorrow will be the 2 week post-op point...but I may wait a full month before having anything done to let the scar heal up a bit more and let the grafts get fully super-glued in.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

chris39 when did you have your first post-up hair cut? I was a bit surprised templeloss waited 5 months for his first real haircut. I am getting my staples out tomorrow and am trying to decide when I will get my first cut at least to make it look more balanced. my hairdresser is fully aware of my transplant history and will be careful....tomorrow will be the 2 week post-op point...but I may wait a full month before having anything done to let the scar heal up a bit more and let the grafts get fully super-glued in.

I let my wife trim my hair around the month mark . First proper hair cut was around the 3 month mark .It partly depends if you were fully shaved for your procedure .

My whole head was shaved , so there wasn't much to cut until around the 1 month mark anyway .

It's good that you have a good relationship with your hairdresser - they'll be well aware of how to deal with hair length and tapering to make sure the scar's not visible .

Good luck by the way !

Thanks chris39. I was not shaved except at recipient areas. My hairdresser the last few years has come to my house to cut my hair so that will help in this situation as well. I wonder if anyone has ever had a hair transplant and like within 2-4 days had to attend a funeral. I know I would hate having to attend a funeral soon after surgery when I look like an escaped mental patient! :)

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

....after surgery when I look like an escaped mental patient! :)

Shoot - that's the look I'm going for...

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.