Do clinics have a tool that lets them tell if the sides of my hair are dropping?

I'm not aware of any such device. This is typically assessed visually, sometimes using magnification to look for miniaturization or through a comparison of photo documentation over time.

If anyone knows of a specific device for this I'd be curious to know about it.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

what are your thoughts?

I was on Dr Harris website earlier today and he says hes got a machine called the hair check that measures using the hair mass index but you have to do a first one to keep measuring against. It says it'll give you an accurate idea of growth and loss in areas.

As David stated, checking for miniaturization is really the key as far as to know where native hair is most likely to be lost. Noted signs of miniaturization are confirmations where native hair is DHT receptive. While degrees of hair diffusion can sometimes be noted by the naked eye, miniaturized hair generally cannot.

There is a very cheap product on the market called a densiometer and is simply a small hand help instrument that has a built in scope with lighting. They can be purchased at just about any electronics retailer like Radio Shack although not sure if there are many Radio Shacks around anymore.

Probably best to shop it online. I bought several of them approximately 10 years ago for roughly $20.00 apiece.

Video scopes work very well and the differentials in hair shaft diameter can be clearly seen on any monitor, however these scopes are generally very expensive.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY