Badly need advice for my first hairpiece!

Malin180

I am 31 and have been losing my hair since 2006. Only on the crown which is now totally bald. It is starting to creep down the back of my head and the front is really going now quite quickly. I saved for a hair transplant but was told by several places I was too advanced or that it wouldn't be for me and to use the drug to regret hair. The scarring and possibly drug side effects put me off as well as the fact I only got to ?2000 saved in about 5 years! I have now decided on getting a hair piece and have looked at men's hair to go and the London hair clinic. Having never worn one before I am completely clueless as to which company is better and am also after help on the advantages and disadvantages on them and the way they are fitted. Please help!

Today's hair systems and look quite natural however, I suggest doing your research to find something that looks high quality and is affordable. Understand that all hairpieces require maintenance and they may not be ideal for all situations. That said, under the best of circumstances they can look highly natural and make it appear like you've never lost hair. But, people who already know you will see the change immediately and recognize it as hairpiece. Also, if it's not properly maintenanced it may not look right.

I wish I could Point you in the right direction as to where to find the best hairpieces however, i'm sure there are others on the site with much more experience who can provide you with some suggestions.

As for hair transplant surgery, I don't know if you are a candidate or not but feel free to post some pictures of your balding areas and we can provide you with some input on that as well.

Best wishes,

Bill

I started wearing about 5 years ago and I have no regret, although in the early days it was very much a steep learning curve without forums and youtube videos like today.

Hairpieces can work and equally they can look bad if you dont have the right team around you and attitude.

From memory London Hair Clinic provide different hair solutions - one being hair pieces. I got one from them early on. Throughout they were very rushed. The stylist cutting botched my cut in. I then spent the next 3 weeks trying to get them to put it right and they never did.

I undertstand the guy who was running LHC's pieces is the man behind menshairpieces.

Hendon Hair is ok but their systems are expensive. I have been using UK Hair Systems for 3.5 years.

Thanks for the reviews. Can you give me and honest opinion of mh2go, London hair clinic, total cover plus and uk hair systems please? Obviously I'm looking for best service, best price, best realistic piece etc. I assume the less expensive pieces are cheaper looking? I'm also wondering what the costs are like maintenance wise and also what it feels like being taped on as am not keen on the glue fitting. Much appreciated.

Price and quality dont always follow. I have seen pieces costing over ?1500 and they are little better and probably worse than the ones I have purchase at ?250. Its all about how interested the supplier is in delivering a good product and the research you put in.

I wont name the expensive supplier but with their celebrity endorsements thats why they charge so much.

Equally, there is no one supplier the best at everything - but taken as a whole Im happy with my current supplier. uk hair systems - I have been with them for a few pieces and happy to stick with them as they give me the all round package I want. Top Quality & Affordable Hair Systems, Hairpieces, Toupees, Wigs, Hair Replacement Systems - Shipping UK and Worldwide.

mh2go and London hair clinic pretty much one and the same. Total cover plus is the lazy solution, but pricey and their pieces are nothing special.

What does the taping bond feel like? Does it pull on your scalp or existing hair?? I'm really unsure who to go with! Realism and price are my main concerns but then there's the travelling to get it fitted and cut each month!

Honestly, you soon forget about it. Its not hotter or more itchy. I DIY and change every 18-20 days so it all stays relatively clean and fuss free.

I get the cut in via a salon through my supplier and every so often just a local barber to keep the blend

Hi Malin180

I don't have much personal experience, because I buy my hair units on-line now, but if you are looking for a salon in SE England one supplier which has an impressive website and a good vibe is Hair4All. I have heard some good things about them.

Even the models' hair looks terrible in some of the other places you've listed, and presumably they get top attention and careful lighting and photography. You've got to wonder what the average Joe looks like coming out. I don't like to slag off another wearer, but have a look at "TV's Anthony Miller" on the London Clinic site, or the unfortunate Steve the musician at TotalCoverPlus with his 500% density hairline. Would you want to risk looking like those guys?

Good luck with whatever you decide on

Ed

Honestly, you soon forget about it. Its not hotter or more itchy. I DIY and change every 18-20 days so it all stays relatively clean and fuss free.

I get the cut in via a salon through my supplier and every so often just a local barber to keep the blend

Sorry do you mean you change the piece every 18-20 Days or change the piece? Ye I would be hoping to go to someone close to me to get it cut and sorted once a month or so

Hi Malin180

I don't have much personal experience, because I buy my hair units on-line now, but if you are looking for a salon in SE England one supplier which has an impressive website and a good vibe is Hair4All. I have heard some good things about them.

Even the models' hair looks terrible in some of the other places you've listed, and presumably they get top attention and careful lighting and photography. You've got to wonder what the average Joe looks like coming out. I don't like to slag off another wearer, but have a look at "TV's Anthony Miller" on the London Clinic site, or the unfortunate Steve the musician at TotalCoverPlus with his 500% density hairline. Would you want to risk looking like those guys?

Good luck with whatever you decide on

Ed

So who do you go to for the pieces? And how do you have them ordered and fitted? DIY or local cutter? The place you mentioned that's local to me do they sell the pieces or just fit and cut

GOOGLE NORTHWEST LACE FORUM. .

They have the best support from wearers that I have seen. The systems run somewhere around 300 dollars and last about 3 months, more or less depending on your lifestyle. There are plenty of pics from posters there, not marketing sites. They almost all do there own template, send it in, learn to attach and either cut in in themselves or find a Solon in their area that is good stuff it. You can wear any wear for as little as a day to week before you take off and reattach. It really depends on your body chemistry. I thing the type of unit that you chose and your own artistry when making the template and attaching are very important.

You can be virtually undetectable, but it is up to you and the choices you make, i.e.lower density units look much more realistic.

So go there, learn all you can, and decide if it is for you.

I train myself there just in case I ever need it. It is quite conforting that there is a good back up solution if you chose.

It is not for everyone, but if you master it, you look like a million bucks and noon e will question you.

The downside is the maintenance.

Good luck.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• 2 weeks later...