It's a shame you can't just be knocked out for a transplant

Beebz

Don't worry. Its really not much on the pain scale. 2 or 3 out of 10 max.

Knowing you're going with SMG, Dr. Ron and team is very caring and sensitive throughout the process. We spent hours before my surgery talking.

My biggest worry going in was the incision and the subsequent pain. I gotta say, that turned out to be a non-factor. The waiting game was and remains much more difficult. Trust the process, and the team. You're in great hands.

How do you feel about the details of the study?

Haha it happens. If you need to go to the bathroom they give you a break. I had one. And the meds slow all of your "systems" down. You'll be in a sweet little fog and watching movies.

PM me if you need to.

To give you some perspective, my first thought when I read this was "Wait. Wasn't I knocked out?" I mean, clearly I wasn't totally sedated, but I was drugged up enough that the time went by so fast that I might as well have been. I just felt really loopy, happy, and drunk/stoned all day - which is actually quite fantastic. Haha. And you'll be able to use the restroom, so don't worry. I remember getting up to pee at one point and feeling completely wasted and got the biggest kick out of looking at myself in the mirror. I'm getting nostalgic just thinking about it.... ;)

Also - the worst part of the entire day was the initial numbing of the scalp. I don't do well with needles. After that though, you're home free.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Beebz,

I understand your concerns however, hair transplant surgery is quite painless. You will feel a little bit of pain in the very beginning as the anesthesia is being injected. But after that, all you will feel is pressure. Typically you are sitting comfortably in front of the TV screen and are able to choose from many movies and watch a couple of them. Sometimes interacting with the staff can be fun as well. Personally, I'm glad I wasn't put to sleep during the procedure, I got to enjoy several movies, talk with some good people, joke around, and see the progress throughout the day.

No you are a bit nervous which is normal, but try to relax and just enjoy the ride knowing full well that within a year you'll have a thicker, fuller mane to show off to the world :-).

Best wishes,

Bill

Great points thus far!

One thing I wanted to add from the "other side" of the procedure is the fact that putting patients "under" during surgery increases the associated "risks" exponentially. In fact, most believe that the majority of the risks associated with the intra-operative period (during the surgery) come from the anesthesia. If hair loss doctors were to use general anesthesia or even conscious sedation during procedures, the risks associated with an otherwise very, very safe and benign procedure would go through the roof!

Although it may be a bit scarier, it's definitely for your safety that we don't put patients under during these procedures.

Best of luck, Beebz!

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.