6 months update 2,500

Am0986

Hang in there Am0986. I think you are getting decent growth at the hairline. It is the mid-scalp I'd be worried about. From the post-op photos it doesn't appear that your surgeon did much back there. It looks as if very large grafts were placed an inch apart from each other. That isn't going to give you much coverage. But your hairline is coming in. I just question the overall strategy.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Am0986,

At 6 months, I would call what you're seeing progress rather than results. It takes up to a full year for full growth and maturation of a hair transplant.

That said, it appears by the surgical photos that the grafts were placed further apart toward the mid scalp. Thus, you're probably not going to get the kind of density most would be satisfied with after only one procedure. Did Dr. Meshkin go over with you the possibility of needing a second procedure to meet your goals?

Best wishes,

Bill

Am0986,

I will be notifying Dr. Meshkin about this post so that he too may offer a reply. I trust you will be willing to give Dr. Meshkin the necessary permission to discuss the specifics of your case if he chooses?

I can't tell by the picture, but is it possible that you've had some donor area shock loss and that what we're seeing isn't the scar, but some remaining shock? Or is it definitely the width of the scar? Also, what did the first scar look like? This of course, is critical in evaluting the second scar.

Unfortunately, less than optimal scarring or stretching can occur, even when a physician uses state of the art techniques.

In the meantime, I would hold off another 6 months on evaluating your result. If growth is less than optimal, I trust Dr. Meshkin will stand behind you.

I also encourage you to contact Dr. Meshkin to go over your concerns and discuss the possibility of another procedure to meet your goals. I suspect you will need another one even if growth is optimal. These discussions between patient and physician are vital prior to any surgery so that realistic expectations are developed and patients are aware of all the risks.

Best wishes,

Bill