Traction Loss From Combing

I comb my hair from left to right and my left temple is weaker than my right temple. I have come to realize this is likely from traction loss. I usually comb it several times throughout the day and I've got to stop this. Americans (or Westerners maybe) tend to comb from left to right, patients are typically weaker in the left temple, and there's a decent possibility that traction loss from combing is the cause.

Something for everyone who combs their hair a bunch to keep in mind.

Edited by giantanddwarf

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure I agree that you are experiencing traction Alopecia. Although it is possible. Are you using a very tight bristled comb? Traction Alopecia usually occurs from constant pulling of the hairs and often takes a long time to occur. Combing the hair only takes a few seconds. I don't think I have noticed one temporal corner being m ore commonly receded or thinning versus the other.

Giantanddwarf,

Traction alopecia doesn't usually occur from combing your hair even when you continuously comb it in one direction. Traction alopecia typically occurs when hair is continuously pulled way too tightly. Thus, unless you have been wearing your hair in an extremely tight ponytail or some kind of braids, I would think your hair loss is related to something else, the most common of which is genetic male pattern baldness.

I suggest posting some pictures of your hair thinning if you would like some more specific input on your situation.

Best wishes,

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

The loss may be happening as a result of genetics. Would you happen you have any photos to share?

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians