Do I have enough hair in my donor area for 2000 grafts?

I think 2,000 grafts might be pushing it.

It looks like you already had either a FUT or a FUE.

Can you tell us more on how many previous procedures you've had, and how many total grafts they took out??

Also, do you shave your lower neck, or is the thinning part retro alopecia??

No previous procedures done. That one scar on the back of my head is from a gym accident. And I don't think I have retro alopecia - I do shave my neck though

If you dont have retro alopecia you should have more than enough for 2,000 grafts.

In fact, depending on what Norwood you progress to, I'd say you have enough for perhaps 6,000 to 8,000 grafts

I've done a bit of reading and I do indeed have retroalopecia. I dare say it's very severe as well as my sides are very, vey thin. Does this mean I'm not a suitable candidate for a HT?

I've done a bit of reading and I do indeed have retroalopecia. I dare say it's very severe as well as my sides are very, vey thin. Does this mean I'm not a suitable candidate for a HT?

It means you have only limited donor hairs, but you still could be a candidate for a HT.

My advice is go on Finasteride/Minoxidil ASAP to stabilize what you have right now, and then look into a HT

It does look like you may have limited donor but pics can only say so much. I'd strongly advise that you get an in person consultation with a reputable ht surgeon to accurately evaluate your donor supply.

I am an online representative for Farjo Hair Institute

Dr. Bessam Farjo is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions shared are my own.

Retro-alopecia is a unique phenomenon. It can continue to invade a zone progressively and based on the photos, there is a very small zone at present to harvest grafts from. And even then, that hair can potentially be lost after transplantation.

So really , the question to ask your self is two-fold. First, "is it worth it to me to have the procedure with the possibly that the grafts would not be permanent?", and two, "if the area continues to thin, how would I feel with visible scarring in the donor zone?"

Lastly, be sure to have the area microscopically examined by a reputable trustworthy doctor to see how intrusive the thinning is and how far up the donor zone it is impeding.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY