Scabs lingering in donor weeks after

I'm about three and a half weeks out from my fut and still have some spots of lingering scabs on my donor scar. Is this normal ?

I don't want to force them off as that may cause further problems. Is there anything I could do or should I just wait ?

Before anything you should consult with your clinic.

In general, this is not unusual and it only takes mild encouragement through the use of hot water from your shower or even the use of vitamin E oil to help lift the scabs. This will be a lingering but very minor issue from time to time over the next few months as the donor area continues to heal. If you had some sort of tricophytic closure then the hairs, as they emerge through the scar tissue, can create small scabs and you may even wake up in the morning with small spots of blood on your pillow case. It is normal and does not indicate anything adverse. But again, consult your clinic.

Online representative for Dr. Bernard Arocha

Learn more about Hair Transplants in Texas!

Aloe vera cream also works well to help heal the scar and remove the scabbing.

In another couple of weeks there should be little if any scabs left.

Congrats on your recent procedure...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

NewHare,

Yes it certainly can. It took my last strip approximately 8 weeks or so before all of the scabbing was gone and the scar was tender for at least 4 months.

We all heal at different rates and this especially true for a strip scar. Staples were used on my last procedure and will never have that type of closure again.

But each month will show improvement and eventually you'll be back to normal.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

NewHare,

Yes it certainly can. It took my last strip approximately 8 weeks or so before all of the scabbing was gone and the scar was tender for at least 4 months.

We all heal at different rates and this especially true for a strip scar. Staples were used on my last procedure and will never have that type of closure again.

But each month will show improvement and eventually you'll be back to normal.

Thanks Gil, 8 weeks and 4 months are far more than I had expected. But as you said we all heal at different rates

IMHO, in some pts scabs last a lot longer than most docs say they will. I do not think this is a sign that anything went wrong and should not affect outcome, but it can be very frustrating. Gentle shampooing will ultimately do the trick, but I have heard many people say they still had scabs in the 4-8 week period.

NewHare,

Good advice provided thus far. Definitely speak with your clinic. Specifically, ask them how aggressively they want you to wash the healing donor incision scar at this point. Like I few others said, I think some of these scabs could likely be broken up and washed away with slightly more aggressive washing. However, this is something that varies by clinic. Doesn't sound concerning or out of the ordinary however.

Grow well!

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.