some general questions for newbie please

hi all some questions if I can,new to it all

long story short im 34 year old from Scotland uk, receeding at front and thinning etc. I have multiple serious health issues and as result the meds etc defo a no go. cant even begin to explain how ill I am, and its weird because yad think hairloss would be least of my worries but then as we all know on here, it does affect us ,real bad (those of us who don't look like Jason statham where it suits us ha) ..my head shape etc ..not a good look. instant very unnatractive . for me, its like one thing too many have a really hard quality of life and this extra big knock is too hard.

so im wanting to look into hair transplant one day. no chance of affording much for near future,but gives me hope to see the results. been some excellent celeb ht here in uk, james Nesbit, joe swash,callum best. id be totally fine with that!

so some questions,

why do some people have failed hair transplants,what has gone wrong ?

I understand ,genetically we all have different amount of "sweet spot" donour hair, how much can this vary from person to person ? one can have 1,000 only,others 6,000?

some are turned down /not considered good candidate, so some have no donour hair? how is this? is there a way to tell yourself if you have good donor hair?

does every person going bald,end up with totally bald aside from low sides and back? or do some always have high sides and therefore need less coverage,so can have thicker

when should someone go for one. eg im getting quite a weird shaped v at front of my head,so would surgeous ignore the centre wherehair already is,but surely it due to go soon

im sure ill have many more questions, sucks as iknow the cost is so far out my reach and im really sick and bedbound for few years so maybe im dreaming . but hey even if did loads of ?1000 transplants id live with that . like I say , my quality of life is beyond explanation really,so as you all know,this hairloass stuff destroys confidence etc and its just something I refuse to accept

thanks a lot for your help and advice,first post, but looked around for a few months now

Edited by sparky1983

Welcome.

For starters, cost does not have to be prohibitive. Not sure how credit cards are in the UK, but in the states, with decent credit, you can get a solid CC with low or zero interest a year or longer. Which means on a 10k investment into a procedure, you could theoretically pay $100 or so payments each month over the long haul, and without interest for a solid year, if you needed to spread costs but could afford small monthly payments. Financing options exist too. Everyone's situation is different, but you dont have to have a ton of cash on hand to make it work.

As for your other questions, there's so many variables---age, degree of loss, scalp laxity, genetic history / predisposition to hair loss, medical history and so on. Most important is consulting with many doctors and making an educated decision only from a recommended surgeon. As popular as surgery has become, there's still only a handful of doctors that consistently achieve strong results. And even those vary based on expertise areas--some are great with larger sessions, others with hairlines or crown, and then you have some who are better at FUT vs FUE. Of course, a few who do it all well and consistently.

Do yourself a favor and wander around here, get a feel for both procedues and who does what best. If you could share pictures and express your specific needs/desires, that would be beneficlal too. Most of all, you're in a safe place. Share away.

esrec gave you some great advice and I agree with all of it. I wonder what your health problems are? Me personally and I say it's my strictly my opinion that nobody should get a transplant if they can't tolerate the meds. This doesn't mean I am right but just a strong opinion.

so some questions,

why do some people have failed hair transplants,what has gone wrong ?

If you go to a world renowned doctor the chances of having a shitty transplant are less than 1% (thats just my guesstimate). Its only the amateur doctors who give transplants a bad name

I understand ,genetically we all have different amount of "sweet spot" donour hair, how much can this vary from person to person ? one can have 1,000 only,others 6,000?

some are turned down /not considered good candidate, so some have no donour hair? how is this? is there a way to tell yourself if you have good donor hair?

Unless you're completely bald like Pierluigi Collina everyone should have at least some donor hair. Even if you're a severe Norwood 7.

And if you have limited scalp hair they can now transplant body hair and even beard hair on your head

It depends how far down the Norwood scale you are. Only way for us to tell is if you post pics of your head from all angles. My guess is at age 34 you will probably have a lot more than 1,000 grafts available though

Many good HT doctors will still treat a Norwood 7, even if that means transplanting beard hair or body hair.

Here's a guy who had 2,000 body hairs transplanted:

There are many more such examples on youtube

thanks for replies all . ill sort some pics soon I have a decentish amount hair to work with but its defo receeding and looks pretty crap lol

hmmm the med thing wondered about that, defo cant take meds . im very sick and I guess that could affect chances of success too

maybe a tiny trial be a good bet first .

any news on this plucking and the wounding things?

thanks all