Minoxidil Post Op Short Term ?

I was thinking of trying Minoxidil post op. However only in the short term to aid in regrowth and possibly help along the newly transplanted follicles. I'm late fifties, and my frontal third is mostly if not all transplanted hairs. I was told by docs I consulted with I would not benefit from any long term meds at this point. However I'm wondering if in the short term post op will Minoxidil help, and if so is there also a possible down side such as shedding, or any other negative concerns ? Which then I would probably leave well enough alone.

If the benefits do outweigh the negatives when should it be started and when should it then be discontinued ?

Some hair restoration physicians believe that starting Rogaine (minoxidil) as soon as two weeks after hair transplant surgery may help the newly transplanted grafts to grow more quickly and more robustly. However, as far as I'm aware there is no scientific evidence to support this.

I look at it this way; if there is no harm in trying it and there is at least a small possibility that it may help new hair growth, then why not give it a go?

I would suggest using it for at least 6 months.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Thanks guys for your input. I would like to give it a try. I certainly would want the grafts to grow more quickly and more robustly. As well as the donor hairs to grow back faster. But I'm concerned about coming off of it down the road.

I used Rogaine foam 2x daily for the first 6 months after my procedure, and then 1x daily thereafter. It certainly helps boost blood flow to the scalp and therefore to your hair follicles.

Home1212 you seem to have gotten great results from Rogaine in your first 6 months of use. If you were to have stopped after the 6 months would you have experienced any loses then thereafter. I'm concerned with what will happen after I stop usage. (6 months or so post op)

As I've said I would like to use it post op to boost growth - both donor and recipient - but am concerned about what will happen afterwards... Will I lose all the gains I made, will I shed and not recover the lost hairs, ect ?

Home1212 you seem to have gotten great results from Rogaine in your first 6 months of use. If you were to have stopped after the 6 months would you have experienced any loses then thereafter. I'm concerned with what will happen after I stop usage. (6 months or so post op)

As I've said I would like to use it post op to boost growth - both donor and recipient - but am concerned about what will happen afterwards... Will I lose all the gains I made, will I shed and not recover the lost hairs, ect ?

The transplanted hairs will grow regardless if you use Rogaine or not. I'm 2 months post op and I plan on using it forever as I have no sides. I think if you start using and it helps why not just continue?

Edited by leftygolfer71

leftygolfer71 is correct - rogaine supposedly only helps the transplanted hairs grow in faster and more robust - however the transplanted hairs will grow if you use the product or not - and the transplanted hairs should not fall out if you discontinue the product - now that is not the case if you experience any regrowth of miniaturized follicles or your native hair - if your miniaturized hair goes into a growth cycle because of Rogaine, you must continue to use the product otherwise if it is discontinued your native hair can reverse path