Donor area showing 4 months later...?

I had my last strip hair transplant just over 4 months ago (4 months and 9 days ago to be exact).

I'm getting a haircut in the next few days, and was wondering if I get a scissor cut on the sides and back to about a half an inch would my donor area show? I'm not using a guard or blade at all. Just scissors.

Thanks in advance for any responses or tips!!!

I think you should be honest with the person cutting your hair. Without trying a certain length first there is no way of knowing whether half an inch is enough length at 4 months to cover the scar. The scar is still healing and may be still pink in places and you have of had some shock around the scar.

Just tell them you have a scar and can they cut it as short as possible but so it doesn't show. This puts them on alert to be careful they may of ended up going too short and showing the scar if you don't tell them. I have been there and tried many new barbers over the years.

Good luck.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

It really depends in how well the healing goes post-op. Some guys end up with redness and even some shockloss above and below the scar as Garageland pointed out.

And it's good advice to be forthright and honest with the hairdresser. Have them look at the area to see if in fact there is too much redness and/or shockloss.

Any stylist that's good can potentially cut that donor area around the scar with some varying degree of length to adequately hide or camoflauge the scar.

Some guys can get away with an inch of length, and some a bit longer. It's probably just a good idea to keep the length in the entire back of the scalp at least 2 inches until complete healing has taken place...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

What these guys said ^. Definitely have a conversation with the barber/stylists before you get it cut. If they're any good, they should be able to successfully cut your hair at a length that won't make your scar detectable. They'll see the scar up close and will be able to take in all the contributing factors that could make the scar visible should you go too short.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Thanks guys for the replies! I decided I'm going to keep my length at 1 inch still. I'm not sure how much redness I may still have, but I used a mirror to try to look at the back of my head and I still noticed some redness. Mine as well be on the safe side for now, right?

Would you say around the 9 month mark is when most people's donor area is fully healed?

I had my last strip hair transplant just over 4 months ago (4 months and 9 days ago to be exact).

I'm getting a haircut in the next few days, and was wondering if I get a scissor cut on the sides and back to about a half an inch would my donor area show? I'm not using a guard or blade at all. Just scissors.

Thanks in advance for any responses or tips!!!

Did your doctor remove the previous linear scar at the same time the latest strip was removed? Have you measured or seen your donor scar(s)?

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Did your doctor remove the previous linear scar at the same time the latest strip was removed? Have you measured or seen your donor scar(s)?

Yes, my doctor did remove the previous scar at the same time. He told me that after this particular transplant that my scar should heal nicely, but that there was no guarantee, and that I could come back and he'd remove it again once it heals.

I did see the scar, but it was an unfortunate accident one month after my transplant when I got a number 6 buzz cut and I was shocked to see my donor area showing. It was obviously a very stupid decision and I had to hide the scar with Toppik and black hair color lipstick for at least a good 3 weeks. It was the size of your typical strip donor scar.

Each time a new strip is taken, the scalp becomes more tight and subsequently takes longer for enough elasticity to manifest. So even though complete healing may have taken place, that in itself does not mean there is enough accommodating laxity which can take 12 months or even longer to occur.

And that's a word of caution...to be sure there is always enough scalp laxity for any strip being removed. otherwise the individual could potentially end up with a wider than expected strip scar which no one wants.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY