Are 3 weeks after FUE hair transplantation enough to play Ice Hockey?

Hello, our company will have an Ice hockey tournament, which is just for fun. No hits etc. just business partners playing together for fun. My question is if 3 weeks after FUE hair transplantation are enough?

I've read a lot that 2 weeks are enough, but also 1 month. I am a bit confused. I don't understand why is it not allowed? My scabs are gone. Is sweat the problem, elevated heart rate, or a helmet? I would love to go, but if it can harm my hair, I will not.

Thanks!

Tom

From a logical point of view 2 weeks is enough based on many threads in this forum as grafts are secure after 10 days.

But from an irrational and emotional perspective: don't do it. You have an emotional roller coaster ahead of you and everytime you think your grafts are growing late, you'll start wondering if it might have to do with that ice hockey thing you did a few weeks ago. And you start blaming yourself...

You don't sound overly passionate and excited about it, so it's not the end of the world giving it a miss.

Edited by ZeoRanger
iPhone spelling

Other than getting knocked in the head with a puck, the only other possible issue would be the elevated heart rate and blood pressure resulting from the exertion of playing the game.

IMHO, there's very little risk at three weeks post-op because the grafts are pretty secure. You could also potentially play goalie as long as your head is fully protected...:rolleyes:

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Gillenator is right; honestly, after ~7 days, the odds that you're able to do anything to harm the grafts is really, really slim. The little suckers become indestructible really quickly.

My earlier comment was speaking purely from a psychological point of view; you can "know" that something is true but still be plagued by the "what if."

thank you for the answers guys!

"the only other possible issue would be the elevated heart rate and blood pressure resulting from the exertion of playing the game."

is really elevated heart rate and higher blood pressure a problem? I will have it for sure

Our members have made some really good points. At three weeks postop, I believe playing ice hockey will not harm your grafts nor the donor area. However, I do agree that in the event of some type of concern, you may look back and have some kind of emotional reaction and questions whether or not playing ice hockey impacted growth. That said, I agree with gillenator. Short of getting hit with the puck in the head, I don't see any reason for you to worry if you do decide to play.

All the best,

Bill

FWIW, I'm 23 days post op and just got back from doing weights at the gym. When he took my sutures out, I asked my physician--who's outstanding--whether lifting weights or other physical activity could stretch the scar or impact the surgery in any way, and he said he couldn't imagine how. So I'm choosing to get back into my fitness routine rather than obsess about something that isn't medically credible.

IMHO, FUHT is a different issue altogether. Because even though the epidermis (outer layer of scalp) appears completely healed after 3-4 weeks post-op, the inner dermis layer can take longer to heal and why some docs do not want their patients to put any tension whatsoever on the scar for 3-4 months.

Some individuals heal quicker, some slower, yet that inner layer is soft tissue and never hurts to be on the safe side.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY