What you think of my hair loss

Iam a 33 y/o. Planning to have fut nxt month with initial 3000 grafts then 2000 close to a year later.looking at my pics , do you think I can get a good density result ?

Shaving my hair for 15 yrs, so gonna be a change . Gotta make sure worth it

Thanks

image.jpg.ecff59bc7e0108d447dbafe78991df56.jpg

• Administrators

Currently you're a Norwood 6, but the pictures aren't really good, we need the top view, back view and both left and right side profile to really asses you, I will say that you're donor area looks a bit weak, you will have to be very smart with how you approach this surgery, I would say conservative is better right now, 3,000 grafts seems high especially if you're getting FUE, your donor doesn't look strong enough to take 3,000 grafts all at once, id say 1,800-2,000 to the hairline and midscalp, it's probably wise for you to start thinking of potentially using body hair as well, I know a lot of doctors on here mainly one very young FUT doctor says it's not a good idea, but in your case I think it will be necessary and something worth considering, there have been documented cases showing good success when mixed body hair with scalp grafts. What are you're expectations? What do you want out of this procedure?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators

I don't think 3,000 is a good idea with FUT either your donor doesn't look strong enough, they would have to take a considerable chunk from the back of your head in order to get 3,000 grafts then you risk the scar being visible because of the sparse density in the back. I don't want to sound negative, but I want to be honest with you, full coverage and good density is not likely in your case, you'll have to sacrifice one or the other, either get coverage to the whole scalp but the density will be low, or leave the crown bald and get good density from the hairline to midscalp. That's the route I would take if I were you, framing the face is the most important thing, as you get older a bald crown will be less important, you could always get some beard grafts to the crown just enough so that you could use toppik.

Which Doctor are you considering?

Are you on finasteride or minoxidil?

Did he/she inspect your donor density?

How many grafts did he/she say you have available to use?

This information is necessary in order to have a proper game plan for you.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Iam seeing dr Ferreira from Seager transplant , former sure hair dr.

I've started propecia now for 3 months.

Yeh just saw him on Monday, never said available donor area, just that would need 2 transplants:3000 and eventually 2000

Edited by don174

• Administrators
Iam seeing dr Ferreira from Seager transplant , former sure hair dr.

I've started propecia now for 3 months.

Yeh just saw him on Monday, never said available donor area, just that would need 2 transplants at 3000 and eventually 2000

There's a red flag to me, two 3,000 procedures and one 2,000 procedure that's 8,000 grafts, without him thoroughly inspecting your donor capacity and measure out the balding area to find out how many grafts are necessary, it doesn't sound like a well thought out plan. Never heard of this physician before, but for FUT why not consult hasson and Wong, or Shapiro, or konoir? How many doctors have you consulted with? What area do you live in? Dr. Gabel is reasonably priced and is in Oregon. Since you're Norwood 6 at a young age you need to be very smart and think out your plan very well prior to commiting to surgery.

View my thread

It appears that you may have some retro-alopecia going on from the base of your neck going upward into the donor zone.

So the prudent thing to do is to have your entire donor zone microscopically examined in person for evidence of miniaturization and even diffusion to see if DHT is impeding any of your donor area.

And you want to have this done before you make any decisions on having HT surgery.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY