FUT scarring - advice needed

Hi all!

I'm looking at getting a HT. I'm 28 years old from Adelaide, Australia. I'm about a Norwood 5, and as such I shave my head! I don't mind the shaven look, thankfully I have a well-shaped head at least, however, i'd still like my hair back!

I've been in contact with Dr Path from Bangkok who thinks I need about 3,500 grafts for my hair loss. I was planning on FUE, mainly because I currently shave my head, and I don't plan to grow it out until I start getting results. For the number of grafts I need however Dr Path recommends FUT.

My main concern therefore is the scar with FUT. Dr Path claims that the scars are only 1-2mm thick and are barely seen these days. Does anyone have any experience with FUT scars they can share, and would it be suitable with a shaven head?(at least until I start getting growth).

Thanks in advance for the help!

I have had two FUT procedures and have had zero issues with any so-called scar. Basically since I wear my hair in medium length my "so called scar" is 100% undetectable even by my hairdresser. However I do not and will not ever have the shaven head look. I think if I were someone that toyed with the shaven head look I would lean towards FUE (even with the problems associated with FUE). Without knowing all the details I would think FUE might be the best option in your case.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

It's going to depend how short you buzz your scalp. Most guys cannot wear the length any shorter than a number 3 guide without the strip scar showing.

So if wearing your hair length that short is important to you in the future, you don't want to do FUT.

And listen, no one can guarantee how the strip scar is going to look post-op. Yes many guys come out with a very thin scar, but some don't.

And FUE with someone who is not proficient with it can have a negative outcome as well so they key is choosing someone with proven experience along with a proven track record to support their FUE work.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Thanks for the advice Gents. I'd look at maintaining my shaven head until new hairs are growing out properly, so 3-12 months post Op. I'm not keen on taking a gamble on the "scar" so I suppose FUT is out of the question for me. I find it odd that Dr Path recommended it, knowing that I shave my head. He tried to reassure me that the scar wouldn't be an issue. I might write back to him and give him 1 more chance to convince me of FUT.

I'm going off the idea of HT surgery and am leaning towards a system.

I don't like the gamble with an FUT scar, particularly as I'd keep shaving my head until I was getting decent results. Also not real keen on thinning my donor hair through FUE(and punch hole scars), due to my large graft requirement (~3,500 quoted by Dr Path)

I was originally very against a system, likening it to "hiding" baldness. My mindset is changing, in that it needn't be anything "hidden"(everyone knows I'm thinning, and I envisage being quite open about it to those that I know already), and is akin to a girl wearing makeup to look their best, despite being unnatural. I'm also considering it as a "temporary" solution before a proper "cure" is available ;)

I'm going off the idea of HT surgery and am leaning towards a system.

I don't like the gamble with an FUT scar, particularly as I'd keep shaving my head until I was getting decent results. Also not real keen on thinning my donor hair through FUE(and punch hole scars), due to my large graft requirement (~3,500 quoted by Dr Path)

I was originally very against a system, likening it to "hiding" baldness. My mindset is changing, in that it needn't be anything "hidden"(everyone knows I'm thinning, and I envisage being quite open about it to those that I know already), and is akin to a girl wearing makeup to look their best, despite being unnatural. I'm also considering it as a "temporary" solution before a proper "cure" is available ;)

Good thinking. Not even the best doctor can guarantee a great strip scar. If your head looks good shaved you are going to be fine in the long run without a HT. And you'll save a LOT of money. :)

tanner1987,

You don't like to have a FUT because of the scar but there are really great results on this forum with FUE performed with a large number of grafts. It depends a lot on the skills of the surgeon.

Now if you say you look good with a shaven head, enjoy that shaven look for a while.

You can always try SMP first and then see if you really want that hair.

Darlinglocks

FUE 1524 with Dr. Tejinder Bhatti

Hair Restoration Social Network ? Community for and by Hair Loss Patients - Dr Tejinder Bhatti's Profile

i think SMP is your best line of attack. get the lowered hair line look that makes for a bad ass shaved look. Under no circumstances go FUT if you are already a shaved kind of guy, and if you are a NW5 at 28 good chance you will be needing 6000-7000 grafts over the next few years, thus eliminating FUE due to maxing out your donor area. SMP for you mate

June 2013 - 3000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2013 - 1000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2015 - 785 FUE Dr Bhatti

Dr. Bhatti's Recommendation Profile on the Hair Transplant Network

My story and photos can be seen here

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/Sethticles/

Why does being a norwood 5 eliminate FUE?

I've saw some great results that say otherwise.

Individuals that have above average hair characteristics can have above average results. For example, someone with upper level donor density can potentially have 4,000 FUE or so without having an over-harvested donor appearance.

And those with a higher degree of coarseness (hair caliber) can achieve a better degree of coverage with less grafts.

So it really depends on a multiple of factors including where the new hairline is placed and the size of the recipient area to be restored. Some guys are more aggressive with the placement with their hairline than others.

Each case is different and the consideration of all factors can have a bearing on the final results.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY