How do you get over the risk of shock loss?

I've long been tempted to head to Belgium for an FUT to restore my thinning temples. This is not expected to be a major transplant, requiring only 1,500 grafts or so.

But I can't get over my worry concerning shock loss at the treated site, and I'm wondering how others felt/feel about it? Or whether I'm over-reacting.

When shock loss does occur, can this be quite a large chunk of hair around the treated area? As in are we talking millimeters or centimeters.

Permanent loss I hear is rare, and as my hair line seems reasonably stable now I hope the hairs will be strong enough to resist this. But temporary loss (if big) would be terrible also. I understand it grows back, but destroying your confidence for half a year of your life isn't something you should take lightly in my opinion.

Do we have any stats on the likelihood of temporary/permanent shock loss? Would very much appreciate people's inputs on this.

Thanks, interesting read.

It sounds like something which will be ironed out in the coming years/decades with more research. I'm hoping temple-refilling is likely to reduce the chance of shock seeing as this will be small compared to other procedures.

I have had a few procedures and recovered from shock loss. Then my last procedure....a 30 graft touch up at the front of my hairline has caused a small section of permanent shock loss in my left temple area, some 2-3 inches where the work was done! The hair that I have lost was decent terminal hair too, certainly did not appear to be on its last legs. Shock loss is bloody unpredictable. Also don't have too many procedures in quick succession. IMHO it can accelerate hair loss, my hair had been stable for 10+ years....I just got greedy in wanting a lower hairline & paying now...

Interesting in how everyone responds differently to shockloss.

Which proves the point that it is unpredictable. I still am of the opinion that the more diffused weaker hair is more susceptible to shock but even healthy hair can be shocked. Thank goodness the healthier hair does grow back in most cases.

Once shockloss kicks in, there is little to nothing that can be done to stop it or reverse it. The follicles then enter the resting phase for the typical 3-4 months.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Shockloss is a real phenomenon regardless if it is multiple procedures or not. If a surgeon dense packs in a zone, there is a strong possibility your hairs could die. Your donor can also get a halo or loss of density shockloss effect. It depends on how the procedure was performed and what the surgeons surgical protocol is. Be cautious and proceed carefully...As some docs dont give you proper information when they have the customer in front of them...