Erdogan "African type hair" Inconvenience

xtatic5

I just wanted to share this information with any Afro/Biracial guys considering Dr. Erdogan..

A bit about me: 31, biracial American, FUT performed in 2013 to lower the hairline.

I was interested in Erdogan because of his manual extraction technique which may produce better yield than motor-FUE (he claims in videos that it causes less transection in curly hair). Unfortunately, however, I received this reply in response to my inquiry:

"Kindly be informed, that for African type hair, live consultation in Istanbul is required. The doctor has to make also some test extraction during the consultation, to see whether extraction is possible or not. So I can not offer you surgery date, only consultation appointment."

In other words, I would have to travel to Istanbul twice, once for consultation and another for surgery. I understand why this test would be necessary; some hair is too kinky to be extracted without a high chance of transection. However, I had hoped that given pictures of my hair (which is clearly not kinky) they would at least schedule a surgery date with the expectation that extraction is possible. If I "failed" the test they could have a local patient on standby.

In the same email the doctor (via translator) estimated that I would need 2500 grafts to thicken the hairline (40 cm2). This is double the highest estimates provided by Radha and Bhatti. I realize his opinion could change upon physical examination but I'm not flying to Turkey to find out.

Needless to say, I'm a bit disappointed. I'm not willing to fly to Istanbul twice. While I know that surgery is always contingent on patient viability, to not even schedule a surgery date within the same trip seems like a prohibitive inconvenience (at least for me). No other surgeon has had this requirement.

Has anyone else encountered such inflexibility?

In other words, I would have to travel to Istanbul twice, once for consultation and another for surgery.

I'm not sure that's necessarily the correct interpretation. Recall that these are not native English speakers. I take Erdogan's email to mean that he's not promising to move forward with the surgery and that he wants to see you first. But I'd imagine that if you passed the test, they would go forward with a procedure before you left the country.

Might want to clarify.

Konoir does test due on all his due patients. While inconvenient, it's best for the pt not to transact thei grafts. Almost all due docs have "called the game due to rain" for patients with capping or splayed grafts.

I think his honesty is commendable rather then taking your money knowing he couldn't give you a good result.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Btw, 2500 grafts does look excessive after looking at your pics.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I would advise you to stay away from Dr. Erdogan. it is widely known that he quotes people double the number of grafts than what is needed at times. In my opinion that clinic was built to optimize profits and conduct surgeries like a mill. I have advised people against going to Dr. Erdogan in several posts and provided more details in them about how poorly he has treated people in situations I know the details of.

You can't always take what you see at face value and you must dig deeper in order to find the best surgeon.

I would advise you to stay in the USA if you live in the USA. Not only would it be easier for you, but there are numerous doctors in the USA who are more ethical in their approach, as equally skilled in their surgical abilities, and who genuinely care for their patients such that they will treat you with respect. They will give you good, sound, honest advice and a plan that looks out for you in the long term.

There are many people who will recommend many different surgeons in different areas. I have no ties to anyone. I know Dr. Feriduni has often been recommended in Europe. I will say that I have seen multiple people who have recently had poor FUE results with him. The reputation of many surgeons online is often far better than what it should be IMO. Only good results are advertised and people do not often speak of the bad results. I do know that Dr. Feriduni will not abandon someone that has a bad outcome.

Regarding the OP's situation and what they termed "African type hair", I would suggest they contact Dr. Patrick Mwamba since he is also of African decent. I do not know much about him nor do I know anyone who has been to him. You can find out more about him on his website. He apparently performs surgeries in multiple locations. I suggest that everyone research any doctor they are thinking about using. Sometimes knowing bad things about some can simply help narrow down your choices . Take all things into consideration. Don't simply rely on a good photo or two on the site or comments from someone who may be compensated in some way to make them.