FUT scarring--question and pics for context

The appearance and recovery of the scar immediately after is something I'm carefully factoring. I think I discounted this initially. Because I so heavily rely on masking agents like courve and toppik, I will have to use those until new hair comes in (not for the first 10-14 days of course) It's an exhaustive daily process, but my appearance during the transition matters.

I've attached pictures to give context as to how my hairline looks fully made up vs without. I've also included a picture from the back of my head to get thoughts on appearance of donor area at this length.

*Pic with Courve and Toppik

*Pic without anything

*Pic from back of my head donor area

*How long will I be in pain vs fully functional if even with a scar?

*How long until I can feel semi-normal be back at work, happy hr, dating, etc?

I've read some, but personal feedback always best. Thanks as always.

IMG_7600.jpg.75811c61cfaad9b9e1e18f3146e687c5.jpg

IMG_7597.jpg.8f18c400e8cb96495af65bbdbcbe3c3d.jpg

82.jpg.2c3652f9afd51b02075a6fe99d4588c0.jpg

Edited by esrec

I would personally not put any type of concealers or masking agents on new grafts, even after 2 months if you want them to come in strong and healthy. Its just my opinion, but from everything I've read, anything harsh on the grafts should be avoided. I took a month off work after my HT, and then worked from home another month, but you will definitely not see any sort of growth, even early growth, until your 3rd to 4th month after a transplant. Some people are early growers and some people grow slower, but the first 2-3 months after a HT seem to be the longest time - like it will never pass. I got used to wearing my hat alot, fortunately it was over the winter months. The cliche is true - no pain no gain... The reward comes after 6 months when you usually start seeing some pretty significant growth from your HT and all the stuff you went through to get there seems worth it .. best of luck on your own journey

Edited by home1212

I would personally not put any type of concealers or masking agents on new grafts, even after 2 months if you want them to come in strong and healthy. Its just my opinion, but from everything I've read, anything harsh on the grafts should be avoided. I took a month off work after my HT, and then worked from home another month, but you will definitely not see any sort of growth, even early growth, until your 3rd to 4th month after a transplant. Some people are early growers and some people grow slower, but the first 2-3 months after a HT seem to be the longest time - like it will never pass. I got used to wearing my hat alot, fortunately it was over the winter months. The cliche is true - no pain no gain... The reward comes after 6 months when you usually start seeing some pretty significant growth from your HT and all the stuff you went through to get there seems worth it .. best of luck on your own journey

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/168005-question-concealers-after-hair-transplant.html

Thanks for the feedback. It really is a nerve-racking part of the process but from this link and what I've read neither courve nor toppik is harsh. Former is just a cream and latter mostly keratin. Definitely keen to hear feedback. Both doctors I've spoken to told me to wait 10-14 days. I definitely intend to switch shampoos and ditch gels with alcohol or anything.

Plan would be to sit tight for first month (maybe even travel) then when I head back to work I'd have to put on my mask, with goal of sucking it up and going naked on the weekends and placing myself on temporary house arrest... will have to remind myself means to the end.

You may/may not be right about the effects of the concealers, like I said, I would not personally be putting anything on the grafts that would potentially inhibit or harm the growth - natural or synthetic.

I know its nerve wracking, but what you've been doing with concealers and masking agents is just as time consuming and can get stressful on a daily basis. I did it with a hair sprays and gels trying to cover my receding/balding scalp for years!!! Remember, most docts will want you to SHAVE your entire recipient area. So you'll be entirely bald in the front anyway. And if you go FUE, like I did, my whole head was shaved! So if I could give you any advice, it would be this: if you want to correct your current hair loss, you're going to have to bite the bullet and be in an "ugly duckling" stage for a few months. You have to get over what other people will think or see on your head. I know that sounds harsh - but its very true. It was a relief for me to have a shaved head and keep everything short for those initial months. I threw away the hair sprays and gels that I was so "addicted" to - and just waited for the transformation to take place. Sure, I got a few glances or stares at my head from friends and family, but after that everyone gets over it, we all have more imiportant things to do and worry about in all our lives. Your hair is the least of anyone else's real world problems - believe me..... that's how I dealt with it.

You may/may not be right about the effects of the concealers, like I said, I would not personally be putting anything on the grafts that would potentially inhibit or harm the growth - natural or synthetic.

I know its nerve wracking, but what you've been doing with concealers and masking agents is just as time consuming and can get stressful on a daily basis. I did it with a hair sprays and gels trying to cover my receding/balding scalp for years!!! Remember, most docts will want you to SHAVE your entire recipient area. So you'll be entirely bald in the front anyway. And if you go FUE, like I did, my whole head was shaved! So if I could give you any advice, it would be this: if you want to correct your current hair loss, you're going to have to bite the bullet and be in an "ugly duckling" stage for a few months. You have to get over what other people will think or see on your head. I know that sounds harsh - but its very true. It was a relief for me to have a shaved head and keep everything short for those initial months. I threw away the hair sprays and gels that I was so "addicted" to - and just waited for the transformation to take place. Sure, I got a few glances or stares at my head from friends and family, but after that everyone gets over it, we all have more imiportant things to do and worry about in all our lives. Your hair is the least of anyone else's real world problems - believe me..... that's how I dealt with it.

Great advice. Youre right. And honestly, I was planning a few months of travel so it might not make a difference anyway.

What do you mean "shaving the front" though? I havent been told by any docs in my consultation that my head will be shaved in the front, only the back if I opt FUE.

FUE you get your head shaved, all off gone!!! but you can request to have only a section shaved for FUE, sorry you'll have to double check this, but some Doctors will charge more to not shave your whole head.

June 2013 - 3000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2013 - 1000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2015 - 785 FUE Dr Bhatti

Dr. Bhatti's Recommendation Profile on the Hair Transplant Network

My story and photos can be seen here

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/Sethticles/

also, direct from one of the docs ive posted about on here.

" I would wait about 7-10 days before using Couvre and about 4 days before using Toppik. Six months will be the first time you notice a difference, so it may take longer."

From this feedback and other threads Im not sure discontinuing is entirely necessary. Agree though, I dont think I would use anything until everything is fully healed.

just found this from @Blake

While concealers are helpful, patients should note that they generally cannot be use immediately after hair transplantation. During a hair transplant procedure, follicular unit grafts (FUG) are extracted from the universal donor region in the back of the scalp and implanted into balding areas. For approximately 7 to 10 days after implantation, the immature grafts are not yet “anchored” and can be dislodged if touched or moved inappropriately. Because the application of topical concealers involves movement of the scalp and hair, many hair restoration experts believe using it during the first 7 to 10 days after a hair transplant procedure may dislodge or damage the vulnerable grafts. After the new follicular units anchor (after approximately 10 days), concealers can be safely used without damaging the hair transplant results. At this point, patients can use concealers to camouflage the growing results and get back to regular activity as soon as possible!

Blake Bloxham – formerly “Future_HT_Doc”