Using makeup to cover post-op redness

Hi all,

I've got an upcoming procedure with Dr. Rahal next month, and he'll be placing roughly 2k grafts into my hairline. He'll shave me down, of course, and I've just accepted the social awkwardness that comes with the first few months of recovery. However, I have to go back to work two weeks after the procedure (enough time for the grafts to fall out), and I was hoping to use some makeup to cover some of the redness while I'm at work. Is there any problem with doing this so soon after the procedure? I'll ask Dr. R about this too, but thought I'd post here as well.

Thanks!

Though this article is about using makeup type concealers like DermMatch, you may find it informative.

Possible Complications From Using “Makeup Type” Concealer After a Hair Transplant Procedure

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

hmmm... I have been using the wife's powder on the recipient areas when I go to work.. Not using actual liquid concealers or putting it on very heavy, but still using it to offset some of the residual pinkness since the three weeks post op.... I hope it doesn't affect my results.

I was about to start a similar post asking about options to conceal redness in the early days.

I have no doubt I'll look a mess after my transplant. Returning to work around 4 weeks after the op I think I could explain my new look as a very bad/short haircut ...it's the redness that will give me away. I'm only NW2 and think I can get away without admitting anything, but the fear of the redness is what has stopped my booking in.

How have others found it when they return to the office after a few weeks? Have people guessed? And for those that were able to conceal the redness, what tricks did you use?

In my case I feel I'll be very exposed, FUE shaved all over, caucasian.

Ant tips and hints appreciated.

At one month, the redness won't be too bad... you can attribute it to a sun burn while you were on vacation, or just straight up tell them you had work done. TBH, I don't think people will really care after the initial conversation.. But that is probably something most of us aren't willing to do.

I am sure there are a lot of people who are using some light makeup to hide the redness without having issues with their growth. Of course there are ones who do, but the evidence is anectodal and there could be other factors that attribute to the poor growth yield.

If you are a NW2, why not get the Doc to leave the top of your hair longer so you can have it combed forward? That is what was done with me, but I just found it easier to buzz it all off.

hmmm... I have been using the wife's powder on the recipient areas when I go to work.. Not using actual liquid concealers or putting it on very heavy, but still using it to offset some of the residual pinkness since the three weeks post op.... I hope it doesn't affect my results.

Spidey, is the procedure unnoticeable after 3 weeks? Do you reckon you could wing it as a buzz cut after three weeks? What about the shedding?

Hi win200,

We recommend waiting at least 4 weeks after your procedure to use any concealer, to avoid any risk of infection. One month after your procedure, you can use any kind of concealer or foundation, just make sure to wash it off completely at the end of the day. Powder foundation will be a better option as it causes less clogging of your pores, but you can use liquid if you prefer.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, we're here to help. We will be keeping in touch with you lots after your procedure as well and can answer any questions that may come up!

Best wishes,

Hi win200,

We recommend waiting at least 4 weeks after your procedure to use any concealer, to avoid any risk of infection. One month after your procedure, you can use any kind of concealer or foundation, just make sure to wash it off completely at the end of the day. Powder foundation will be a better option as it causes less clogging of your pores, but you can use liquid if you prefer.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, we're here to help. We will be keeping in touch with you lots after your procedure as well and can answer any questions that may come up!

Best wishes,

Thanks, Kamila! Can't wait to see you guys.

Do you usually recommend against wearing a baseball cap in the few days after the procedure? I have a party to go to 9 days after my procedure, and I was hoping to throw a hat on over the grafts.

You're very welcome win200! We're looking forward to seeing you here at the Rahal Campus.

To answer your question,

you can start wearing a loose fitting hat as soon as the swelling goes down around 4-5 days after your procedure. A baseball cap is a great option, as long as it does not rub the transplanted grafts.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to let us know. We're happy to help!

Best,

You're very welcome win200! We're looking forward to seeing you here at the Rahal Campus.

To answer your question,

you can start wearing a loose fitting hat as soon as the swelling goes down around 4-5 days after your procedure. A baseball cap is a great option, as long as it does not rub the transplanted grafts.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to let us know. We're happy to help!

Best,

Thank you for this. I've heard varied feedback from some of the top physicians on here (7 days to 30 days) but all seem comfortable with using it once fully healed.

Question-do you think its more disruptive to apply and re-apply these every single day (more washing, more hair combing etc) than just leaving it in for several days and leaving your hair untouched? Curious if there's perspective on this--ive heard some say just leaving the hair the hell alone is just ask important.

Thanks