ElectroTrichoGenesis (ETG) Online Reviews?

Has anyone ever heard of or tried ElectroTrichoGenesis also known as ETG to treat hair loss? Only recently have I seen more information on this and I was wondering who, if anyone has had any success (or failures) with it. It's interesting that available data and research suggests high success at both maintaining existing hair and even regrowing hair. But yet if the treatment is so successful, why aren't more people using it and raving about it? Why aren't more physicians recommending it or offering it at their clinic?

Well recently, the publishers of this community researched and wrote editorial content about ElectroTrichoGenesis for the Hair Loss Learning Center. You can view it by clicking here.

Who has experience with this treatment? What are your thoughts?

Thoughts are that it's a scam. It's been around a long time. It would caught hold.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Yes Bill you make a very good point. Why isn't anyone using this? Well probably because it has proven to be not so successful in the past. I'll compare it to something like LLLT. If the studies from LLLT would really reflect to a realistic scenario everyone would be sitting with a laser helmet on his head daily on this forum.

I have read a study 2 weeks ago which could be related to the mechanism of a treatment like this actually.

Hair growth promoting effects of different alternating-current parameter settings are mediated by the activation of Wnt/

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

Electrical stimulation is being used in variable skin therapeutic conditions. There have been clinical studies demonstrating the positive effect of electrical stimuli on hair regrowth. However, the underlying exact mechanism and optimal parameter settings are not clarified yet.

OBJECTIVE:

To investigate the effects of different parameter settings of electrical stimuli on hair growth by examining changes in human dermal papilla cells (hDPCs) in vitro and by observing molecular changes in animal tissue.

METHODS:

In vitro, cultured hDPCs were electrically stimulated with different parameter settings at alternating-current (AC). Cell proliferation was measured by MTT assay. The Ki67 expression was measured by immunofluorescence. Hair growth-related gene expressions were measured by RT-PCR. In animal model, different parameter settings of AC were applied to the shaved dorsal skin of rabbit for 8 weeks. Expression of hair-related genes in the skin of rabbit was examined by RT-PCR.

RESULTS:

At low voltage power (3.5V) and low frequency (1MHz or 2MHz) with AC, in vitro proliferation of hDPCs was successfully induced. A significant increase in Wnt/β-catenin, Ki67, p-ERK and p-AKT expression was observed under the afore-mentioned settings. In animal model, hair regrowth was observed in the entire stimulated areas under individual conditions. Expression of hair-related genes in the skin significantly increased on 6th week of treatment.

CONCLUSION:

There are optimal conditions for electric stimulated hair growth and they might be different in the cells, animal, and human tissue. Electric stimuli induces mechanisms like, activation of Wnt/β-catenin and MAPK pathway in hair follicles. This article is protected by copyright.

This would lead me to believe purely on a hypothetical basis that it will shift telogen/anagen ratio for the better. However I don't believe it will regrow hair or maintain (prevent damage).

Edited by Swooping

Proud to be a representative of world elite hair transplant surgeon Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic.

Hairtransplantelite.com

YouTube

Online consultations: damian@bhrclinic.com

Very interesting, Bill. Thanks for sharing!

I must say, the device itself is very sleek and cool looking. Like Swoop said above, however, I haven't seen anything to conclusively make me believe that electric stimuli or pulsing would affect expression of pro-growth or anti-dormant factors or affect stem cell activity in the bulge (which I think they claimed in the article).

But interesting nonetheless!

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.