4000 Grafts results with Dr Gillespie Calgary-

I had 4000 grafts done with Dr Gillespie, Calgary in two procedures to cover two thirds of my front scalp. I'm 18 months post second procedure. I'm in my mid thrities and Norwood 5.

I have attached the results pictures .I don't have pre-op pictures. Any feedback is appreciated

front1.jpg.a56d4f4f09c5392198bb1a3985865c8e.jpg

front2.jpg.f3e06505684ee1215c55106401d84587.jpg

left.jpg.de779b8a3491d19354139459f9a2b156.jpg

right1.jpg.8d72c80fe0b7e7507d3ccd49156f967c.jpg

Edited by BaldPatient

Frontal 3rd looks a bit thin but it really depends on the coverage you originally got. Without good pre op photos with an over head shot both pre and post op it's hard to give a good assessment. On the bright side, it looks ok. Not pluggy. Not too aggressive. Natural recession. You're pretty young and as a nw5 originally I think it will serve you well over time and the older you get the more comfortable you'll be with it.

To summarize, its not mind blowing, but it's not bad either. More detail would allow for a better assesment.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Frontal 3rd looks a bit thin but it really depends on the coverage you originally got. Without good pre op photos with an over head shot both pre and post op it's hard to give a good assessment. On the bright side, it looks ok. Not pluggy. Not too aggressive. Natural recession. You're pretty young and as a nw5 originally I think it will serve you well over time and the older you get the more comfortable you'll be with it.

To summarize, its not mind blowing, but it's not bad either. More detail would allow for a better assesment.

So is it failed or a successful hair transplant for a nw5/4000 grafts ?

It's definitely not failed. Again, without preops and post ops top down I won't be able to tell you more.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

It's definitely not failed. Again, without preops and post ops top down I won't be able to tell you more.

I wasn't happy with density but when I saw Dr Gillespie last December for 10 months assessment he called this a sucessfull hair transplant , he also mentionned that this is the expected density achieved with hair transplant and blamed it on the contrast between my hair color and scalp

I think its a good result even though conservative.

If you're on Propecia and minoxidill you should be able to keep what you have and in time with no or minor loss be able to increase the density and lower the hairline.

I think its a good result even though conservative.

If you're on Propecia and minoxidill you should be able to keep what you have and in time with no or minor loss be able to increase the density and lower the hairline.

OK but didn't know that I would need to use Toppik after surgery to achieve acceptable cosmetic results ( these pictures were taken without toppik)

It's definitely not failed.

Maybe but what's the point of having a hair transplant surgery then if I have to be dependant on Toppik after they surgery ? Those pictures were taken wthout toppik

Also Dr Gillespie didn't tell me before the first surgey that I would need to use toppik after surgery

the preops are necessary to make any sort of meaningful comparison, what sort of coverage were you advised would be implanted to your frontal zone (? grafts/cm2)? The front looks thin and I'm assuming the rear only looks denser because of toppik??

Maybe but what's the point of having a hair transplant surgery then if I have to be dependant on Toppik after they surgery ? Those pictures were taken wthout toppik

Also Dr Gillespie didn't tell me before the first surgey that I would need to use toppik after surgery

I understand your point. My first hair transplant resulted in lower than expected yield and I opted to do a second pass one year later to increase density and augment the hairline.

It's certainly possible for rebuild the frontal third with the appearance of fuller density that what you appear to have received. However, without post-op pics, we can't tell if the lower density is due to poor yield or if you had great yield but it was planted at lower density.

As has already been stated, it's not a showcase result but also not a bad result. It's natural in appearance.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

the preops are necessary to make any sort of meaningful comparison, what sort of coverage were you advised would be implanted to your frontal zone (? grafts/cm2)? The front looks thin and I'm assuming the rear only looks denser because of toppik??

No these pictures are taken without toppik. The rear looks denser because I comb my hair to the back

I understand your point. My first hair transplant resulted in lower than expected yield and I opted to do a second pass one year later to increase density and augment the hairline.

It's certainly possible for rebuild the frontal third with the appearance of fuller density that what you appear to have received. However, without post-op pics, we can't tell if the lower density is due to poor yield or if you had great yield but it was planted at lower density.

As has already been stated, it's not a showcase result but also not a bad result. It's natural in appearance.

I already did a second procedure to increase density ( with the same doctor Gillespie) , these pictures are taken 18 months post second surgery. It was Dr Gillespie who suggested a second procedure to increase density but I'm still not happy with density

Edited by BaldPatient

How do you not have pre op pictures? Have you never taken pictures of yourself besides the photos you attached?

Because I used to grow my hair long and have a combover to hide my baldness untill I lost too much haire ( almost Norwood 5) to be able to hide it so I decided to get a hair transplant

I'm assuming that you live in Calgary or southern Alberta.

If I was you I would consult with some other doctors.

Distance to travel should never be an issue but you have two great clinics near by in Hasson and Wong and Dr.Nakatsui (who seems highly underrated).

I'm assuming that you live in Calgary or southern Alberta.

If I was you I would consult with some other doctors.

Distance to travel should never be an issue but you have two great clinics near by in Hasson and Wong and Dr.Nakatsui (who seems highly underrated).

Or Doctor Rahal, I am from Calgary and Ottawa was not that far for the great results I had. I didn't see any great results from Gillispie and he was pretty much the only option in Calgary.

Glad I travelled as every one I have seen up close looks mediocre at best.....sorry to be a downer but that looks fake to me and usually pictures look better than in person from my experience.

Hasson and Wong I also can vouch for as a friend of mine got great results from them.

I just looked at your pics from Rahal looks really good!

I think this is a great site and the best hair transplant site for prospective/current patients

One thing I think that could be improved is the drastic differences between doctor/clinic participation.

For example - This patients doctor and or patients posts 1 -2 times a year if that.

Other hair transplant clinics post daily , weekly , monthly etc with results or meaningful information.