Scratching recipient 9 weeks post op

Hi everyone,

So I'm 9 weeks post op, and my recipient has started to have this annoying (but mild) itching or maybe a kind of tickling sensation. I've been lightly scratching it a lot. Hair falls out when I do. The hair looks exactly like the shredded hair. No blood, no pain, nothing. I guess my scratching is just continuing the shedding process, right? Or am I doing some harm?

Hi justgotfue

Scratching at this time is normal as the scalp can be dryer than pre-surgery. You will not damage the grafts as such and can shed hairs in doing so as you detailed .

Try to apply a moisturiser that will benefit the scalp and in all probability lessen the scratching. The skin is still healing so see what works well for you as a moisturiser and be as natural as possible in any product you use to avoid any skin reactions as the skin can be over sensitive still and if there is redness there.

I personally used aloe vera gel and some vitamin e with it or argan oil but there are many options for you and see what works best.

Heal well.

I represent Dr. Bisanga.

Dr. Christian Bisanga is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

The itching is also a sign of healing. Doubtful that you are doing any harm however you might try lightly rubbing with your fingertips instead of scratching.

And I agree that using a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner will greatly help with the itching sensation.

However read the bottles before purchasing any shampoo products because often these products have alcohol based additives which would be counter-productive because they can dry the scalp.

Congrats on your recent procedure...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY