Expectations in the hairline

Hello all,

I've been perusing these forums for a long time but never really took the plunge for transplant. My hair thinning on top and severely receding in the front and temples, maybe 1/2-3/4 inch. This would be where I would concentrate any procedure but this seems like a large area to cover with density. Hairlines seem to be the most obvious place where transplants can look bad. Realistically, how many transplants units would be required in the from to cover 3 square inches in bare skin and make this look realistic. Can one make a hairline look realistically dense? Thanks for your help

Harhar,

There are varying philosophies on hairline re-creation however, in my opinion, denser hairlines aren't necessarily better. Depending on your hair characteristics, you may only need 40 FU/cm2 (follicular units per square centimeter) using single haired grafts to re-create a natural looking hairline. Staggering is often used so that your hairline isn't a perfectly straight line, which would look unnatural. As for exactly how many grafts you'd need, that's hard to say. You can try using our free online animated graft calculator to help give you an idea. However, nothing will take the place of a consultation with an expert hair restoration physician.

Try a free virtual consult with one of our physicians right now.

I hope this helps :-).

Bill

Most important thing...keep your expectations in check. If you are expecting the fullness of your hair before any of your loss, you won't be happy. If you are expecting good coverage but still more 'mature' hair placement and density, you will hopefully end up pretty happy if you pick a good surgical team.

My impression is that many of the dissatisfied posters here had expectations that were set too high.

1,792 graft FUE with Dr. James Harris (Denver, Colorado) on April 2-3, 2015

313 graft FUE with Dr. James Harris (Denver, Colorado) on May 3, 2016 to make it perfect!!!

Many of the experiences use people with stage ii or iii hair loss. What about people who have iia or iiia where doctors have to recreate the central frontal area as opposed to filling in a defined area that is thin. Is that something that can look natural?