Addressing the crown at a young age. Nape/SMP/BHT?

I agree with most of the doctors and seasoned posters on here that it's unwise to address the crown at a young age. For one, the crown eats up a massive amount of hairs, hairs that would otherwise be used to the hairline/ frontal regions. Also, balding patterns of the crown are very unpredictable, so it's possible that one might be left with an island of hair in an otherwise sea of baldness.

So lets say I plan on tapping into a significant number of my total donor supply to fill in the hairline, frontal, and mid-scalp region, would it be advisable to use Nape hair for the crown at a younger age? I understand Nape hair will probably fall out as Nape hair isn't totally DHT resistant, but at least it will give me some precious time, time that will allow me to see how how severe my balding pattern will ultimately look like. Or, if Nape hair isn't advisable, what about SMP or BHT to fill in the crown?

No one in my entire family is even remotely bald. Both my grandfathers died with a great head of hair, and every male in my family has a fantastic head of hair. Not sure why I lucked out. I attached some pictures so y'all can get a better idea. Thanks so much!

5b32e77610a73_Crown1.jpg.8a09454ee430830fe913e5d5cb6be05c.jpg

5b32e77624602_Crown2.jpg.29ba04df82d0a8ac6626fa1d3eb9e9a1.jpg

Sorry man. I looked at your pics and you're in too much danger of being a heavy nw6 to do your crown. You really need to leave it alone. Try topik or another fill in patter. Tons of bald celebs had more hair at an older age. You've made all of the right decisions so far for your situation. Don't mess it up now. Let the fin do it's thing.

Edited by Spanker

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Don't even think about a hair transplant for that crown, it's not that bad at all. Like Spanker said, let finasteride take action for 5 years and then see where you're at. For now if it bother you, use Caboki concealer, it will work wonders for your hair.

• Moderators

Combing your hair away from the natural whirl is always going to make that area look thinner than the rest of your hair no matter how many grafts you try to put in there. Your hair does not look bad. If you want to feel like you are doing something to improve it then take finisteride/propecia for a year or two and stop looking at the area. After a year or 2 then you can revisit the issue to see how it compares to where you were. That's all you should do at this point.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Radiorunner,

Our members have given you good advice. In my opinion, don't transplant the crown, at least not yet or for a long time until you can see how your hair loss pattern develops. In addition to finasteride, I'd recommend Rogaine foam. Minoxidil may help thicken and strengthen existing hairs and make your crown appear thicker and fuller.

All the Best,

Bill

Hey Radio,

Always good to hear from you.

The general consensus seems to be pretty consistent and helpful. I did want to add, however, that I would use scalp grafts in the crown before investigating alternative sources -- IE nape and body hair grafts. Too far off in the future at this point to worry about, however! Enjoy the growth in the front! Haha.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Thanks for the input everyone. I should have mentioned that I just started taking Fin less than 3 months ago, so I'm absolutely going to give it 16 months to see how it works out.I haven't started taking Minox but I guess I should probably invest into it.

I should say that literally every male member of my family has a great head of hair, and I am in fantastic health, so I don't think it's genetically possible for me to ever become fully bald. That being said, I am fully committed to tackling my hair loss, and plan on having multiple procedures over the next 15-20 years.

Cheers everyone!