donor area issue

Hi I had a FUE hair transplant 3.5 months back for 3500 grafts .first 3 months were OK however In last 10 days I am having small ref bumps in my donor area.it started from 1 or 2 and has increased to 6 or 7 in just 10 days.when I touch them there is pain also.I am very worried that why this is happening in 4th month when there was no such problem in first 3 months.? Is this normal? What should I do??

Do they have a white head? My doctor's post-op instructions say this could be a side effect. It instructs patients to squeeze them. I did.

The pain goes pretty soon after squeezing and there is a little scab for a few days. Nothing serious to worry about.

Hi options,thanks for the reply.these bumps do not have white head.these have red head,in fact skin is inflated at these places in pimple shape but these r not pimples.I had few pimples in my first 2 months in the recieipint area but those were different from red bumps in my donor are presently.

It could be ingrown hairs. When a hair doesn't break the surface for some reason

(graft planted too deep?) it curls back into the skin causing irritation. Having said that, it's important to make an appointment with your surgeon or a local dermatologist. They're the pros, not some guy on the internet

I thought that I made a wrong choice of HT surgeon.I met him and he simply said it is not because of HT ,I mean this is absurd reply.I never had such bumps in my entire life and hence it is 100% due to HT only.these HT surgeons r blot on the profession as they do not care for the patient after getting money.....again red bumps r in my donor area and that too in 4 the month and now count is 6......

But I am not clear that how can it be ingrown hairs as this is donor area and not recipient area? And if at all it is due to ingrown hairs how and by what time it will resolve? How can I seek some competent doctor opinion on this through this forum?

But I am not clear that how can it be ingrown hairs as this is donor area and not recipient area? And if at all it is due to ingrown hairs how and by what time it will resolve? How can I seek some competent doctor opinion on this through this forum?

It can also cause ingrown in donor, can be a subdermal cyst. You may want to look at the photos of this study to show you what i mean.

WHEN FUE GOES WRONG!

Depends in how it was extracted.

Baldy,

It could be either an ingrown hair or small inclusion cyst as stated above.

Ingrowns occur in the donor region after FUE when grafts are transected or ripped, the top portion is removed, the bottom part of the follicles remains and grows, but it now has to grow against a healing/scarring area above it (where the other portion of the graft was transected or ripped away).

I wouldn't try to "pop" it. Many recommend running hot water over a wash cloth, ringing it out, and placing it over the area until it cools. This should help an ingrown rupture and drain naturally without having to pop it -- which just pushes a lot of unnecessary bacteria from your fingers and surrounding skin subdermally.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

It can also cause ingrown in donor, can be a subdermal cyst. You may want to look at the photos of this study to show you what i mean.

WHEN FUE GOES WRONG!

Depends in how it was extracted.

I wonder if something like this has happened to me which is why Ive been left in excruciating pain.