Can hair density decrease after 6-8 months?

I've read here that hair can appear less dense at 12 months than, say, 8 months because it matures as time goes on so while it becomes more managable, it also is less wiry and wavy. This makes immature HT hair look fuller than mature hair often times. This was verified by Jotronic who said it is common for the hair to appear thinner as it matures. Has anyone observed this in practice?

I think it's more to do with the length of the hair, a lot of times if you leave it grow longer it will appear thinner.

It's all about an illusion of density so we all will have a 'sweet spot' length that makes our hair look fuller.

It's trial and error to find that length for each individual.

My two cents anyways.

I actually found it to be the exact opposite , at least my my case . My transplants from 11 and 4 years ago took a good 1.5 - 2 years to fully mature and hair looked thicker as the time went on. Maybe it just depends on one's physiology .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FUT #1, ~ 1600 grafts hairline (Ron Shapiro 2004)

FUT #2 ~ 2000 grafts frontal third (Ziering 2011)

FUT #3 ~ 1900 grafts midscalp (Ron Shapiro early 2015)

FUE ~ 1500 grafts frontal third, side scalp, FUT scar repair --300 beard, 1200 scalp (Ron Shapiro, late 2016)

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185663-recent-fue-dr-ron-shapiro-prior-fut-patient.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FUE,

The density should not decrease. The characteristics of the hair -- texture, width, length, maturity -- will continue to change from the 6-8 month mark forward, but the density (number of FUGs growing per square cm) should absolutely not decrease. Did you have native hairs in the transplanted area? It's possible these may have shed and caused the area to look less dense in general. When did you have the surgery? Any images?

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.